Partially loading websites, try again errors and secure connection errors

Hello Level1 Community,

Recently I been experiencing internet issues with all devices on the network. Best way I can describe it is websites partially load or take multiple attempts (refresh / try again buttons) to reach / get a response. I thought it was maybe a DNS issue and I researched it and from what I can tell its not. I use Cloudflare, Open DNS and Google as my DNS servers. Other issues such as iPhones prompting to “Try Again” when loading an app or having to refresh multiple times before a download would start. I can’t even perform a speed test as it loads the speedtest.net page but when I start it, it just errors out. Websites for example on the wired computer partially load and in some cases say connection is not secure. All these issues started recently as well. Traffic like Discord, YouTube, and browsing works just often we need to refresh multiple times.

Some troubleshooting I did was:

Factory reset the console and restore a backup config file from Jan 19 however it failed at the end step. So I restored a backup from Jan 15 and it restored successfully. Again not sure if its the 3.2.9 update to Unifi OS.

I also replaced the ethernet cable coming from the ONT to the WAN port - issue still persists.

I disabled country IP restrictions too in security temporarily - issue still remains.

Flushed DNS cache on main wired computer - issue still remains (as well as all other devices on network but figured I would try anyway.

I also noticed a message on IOS devices saying network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic? I never seen that before however I figured I would report it. (edit: this message seems to be gone now)

I am running out of ideas to try. only other thing I can think of is start from a fresh network config but I really would not do that if at all possible/ I hope someone out there may have experienced this and knows something I am overlooking.

Thanks so much! Let me know if there is any other information I can try to add.

EDIT: I cant even run a speed test through the UDM portal. just sits there. I can run one sometimes on wired PC but cant run speed test on the phones (iPhone or androids) tests just error out

Hi @somethingunreal, welcome back!

That is certainly unsettling.
“Wired computer” should rule out connectivity issues. “Connection is not secure” can mean that it connects to an unencrypted website (port 80) or that something didn’t succeed in establishing a secure, encrypted connection to the website (multiple possible issues).

Did you contact your ISP inquiring about network issues (often they maintain a network status page)?

It sounds like the issues happen on multiple systems (PC, phones, etc.). That indicates that the problem is not limited to a single system (= is spread to multiple) or that it is a problem in the middle (between your client systems and the “internet”).

Did you try to troubleshoot the situation with basic networking tools? E.g. ping from the command line of your wired computer? Look for missed packets or high variability in response times (latency).

When you notice “Connection is not secure”, did you click on the notification to see why the browser thinks this is the case?

Hey Jode! Thanks for replying!
I did do a ping test to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 with a ping 1.1.1.1 -t for a continues ping. I let it run for about a 100 pings and all packets send and receive. I tried this from my wired computer.

My banking app for example will just not load and if it does I need to click Try again. On my wired PC the website for my bank is more reliable to load however occasionally presents that connection not secure message.

Its interesting that speed tests error out too, Via Unifi portal and speedtest.net In addition after I reboot the entire console internet seems to work fine and eventually starts to randomly have issues. I would go the app store to update apps and app store goes Try again and eventually they do start downloading. Facetime for example works fine as well as discord on wired PC.

Currently I use Googles DNS for the WAN as well as DHCP for local as Google is reliable fairly however has not solved my ultimate issue. I haven’t had these problems prior to Jan 9th or so.

My ISP is Metronet 1gig fiber. Nokia ONT > Ethernet to UDM Pro - They did a port bounce on their end but still no dice. They told me to hook the ONT up to my PC directly and when I do everything works fine. So I pinned it down the some issue on the UDM Pro.

I reached out to Unifi Support on Saturday and have yet to hear back on my ticket. I am not sure what else to do but to reset the entire thing to factory and go from scratch but it will be a huge undertaking reconfiguring everything back on the network. I am just desperate for suggestions lol

I will try and see the details of the secure connection error and some of the other points and get back to you. Thank You for reaching out as I am genuinely stuck.

PS: If you have servers / commands I can try to ping or have any tools i can use and export the data please let me know and I will post back with results.

EDIT: I would also like to add this too. For example Spotify app on my wired PC will play music however I noticed this thing where it acts like it wants to load data but just cycles (kind of like discord or facebook when loading text) its not limited to Spotify though. Some apps I use that load this side data (ads, banners, etc) just cycle and load. Its like I cant resolve or its being blocked? I am not sure.

Also in addition everything on the local side of the network such as accessing data from NAS or streaming to VLC works without any issues. I can copy data to the NAS at 100MB / sec + and it copies fine.

EDIT: I noticed this message appear as well. Any idea what may be causing this?

Disable all security options in the UDM Pro and do some testing. Every option under the Security → General tab should be unchecked or set to no action or off. make sure all traffic rules and port forwarding rules are disabled. Skim through the firewall rules and see if anything looks weird.

If the problem goes away, then turn on 1 option at a time until you have a problem again. If you have the problem with everything turned off and disabled, then I would do a factory reset and then also go in and manually do a firmware update to the newest firmware, even if you are on it already just tell it to manually install again.

edit: and under the internet area, make sure your WAN connection DNS servers are set right. Try 1.1.1.2 and 9.9.9.9

1 Like

Hello EniGm1987

I will try these out and let you know how things go. Thanks so much!