Packet loss on local network

So we’re having this issue of packet loss here and it only happens randomly, and for no longer than 5-10 mins. at a time. I’d say at most 3-4 times per day.

This is my WINMTR log from today: https://i.imgur.com/oA95EA4.png

Does this mean the x.138 router is not sending enough packets to the modem or does it mean the modem is not accepting all the packets?

Things we’ve tried so far: Replaced cables, had isp come in and look over the setup. Wiped the router, replaced the modem.
Because it happens so randomly it makes it really hard to troubleshoot while isp is present.

Do a trace route to Google.

tracert 8.8.8.8

Reply with the results.

You can also sub in for the ip of your local gateway.

It’s important to know that once you leave you router it is no longer local network.

Do you have another router to test with?

Rather, a device / interface with 10.167.0.1 is losing packets. And why it’s hard to say, we can only guess. Tell more about your network and hardware …

You can disconnect your router from ISP, then connect any device to your WAN port and send packets. This way you will see if your equipment or ISP is at fault.

A few guesses:

• Bad cable
  • cable near power cable (fridge or AC, maybe?)
  • overheating NIC (that one was no fun to troubleshoot…)
  • bad PoE recognition (another GL figuring that out)
  • water trapped in the insulation (yes, really)
2 Likes

ezgif-4-02df414021ec

I didn’t want to write a list of guesswork :wink:

The causes can be a whole bunch, a waste of time to guess. I prefer trial and error by elimination of the next steps to reach the problem. The first thing I would do was work out on which side the problem occurs, whether on the ISP or the user side, and then I would keep looking. :wink:

2 Likes
Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
  2     1 ms     2 ms     1 ms  10.0.0.138
  3     7 ms    10 ms     8 ms  10.167.0.1
  4    12 ms     9 ms     7 ms  ti0017a400-ae10-200.ti.telenor.net [62.92.87.77]
  5    21 ms    23 ms    27 ms  ti0005c360-ae13-0.ti.telenor.net [146.172.99.233]
  6    25 ms    22 ms    25 ms  ti0006c360-ae3-0.ti.telenor.net [146.172.23.149]
  7    22 ms    27 ms    22 ms  ti0300c360-ae4-0.ti.telenor.net [146.172.23.174]
  8    22 ms    21 ms    26 ms  ti3163c360-ae8-0.ti.telenor.net [146.172.101.194]
  9    21 ms    22 ms    22 ms  ti3001b400-ae3-0.ti.telenor.net [146.172.105.62]
 10    21 ms    23 ms    21 ms  148.122.10.70
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *       33 ms    21 ms  dns.google [8.8.8.8]

No, I’m afraid not. The router is in my landlords apartment.

The first ip is my access point acting as a client bridge router. I have tried connecting without it, makes no difference.
The next is the landlord router, a Zyxel P8702N. The modem I don’t know. Unfortunately I don’t have access to the router as mentioned above. Even so, it would be hard to test considering how random the packet loss is. I could be fine for 4 hours straight, then 5 mins. of packet loss.

I just had packet loss again just now and it lasted 30 secs. This doesn’t really affect a whole lot except gaming. I always disconnect during the packet loss so it’s pretty painful for my teammates that I always die :slight_smile:

I took this screenshot on my phone during the last lag session, I don’t know if it’s more enlightening than the first one: https://i.imgur.com/ScbJ34e.png

Without access to the equipment you are very limited in operation.

Let ping from an external host to your machine in lan and see if it is the same.
Since these are random situations, something must suddenly generate them. Don’t you have a stranger in lan? Maybe some machine generates errors, maybe collisions occur. Make sure that nothing generates hostile network traffic, run some sniffer and inspect network traffic especially when a problem occurs.
You must use a method to eliminate individual elements.
Does this happen randomly or when you play online games?
Do you have IPTV in addition to the internet? Do you use v6 or v4?
Are you connected via cable or wifi to zyxel?
When did the problems start? Maybe the bandwidth is missing, and the link is saturated by someone?

How would I set up an external ping?

No strangers on network. Happens when I’m the only one home as well.
It happens randomly whether I’m playing a game or not. No IPTV. Only v4.
Wifi to Zyxel.
Problems started maybe 2-3 months ago.

That’s tough if you don’t have access to the router itself.

I had similar issues, but in my case it’s just because it was a crappy free router with crappy IoT devices tearing it to smithereens. The router itself would crash due to overload of the processor and firmware errors, causing me to have to reset and start over several times a month.

I have a link (below) to a video series on how to start with the most basic router settings needed for client side devices and grow out with additional common settings from there. I recommend anyone with router issues watch them all straight through once, to get a base understanding of what they need to know, then watch them again to apply those things to whatever it is they want to do. However, you need to have access to the router so you can reset it and determine whether the issues resolve themselves when the routing and stateful tables are completely reset.

Additionally, due to the issue alluded to by TimHolus, these video’s recommend placing all wireless devices on the guest network and disabling the local wireless network, to create independent broadcast domains which reduce the likelihood of packet collisions as well as the inherent lack of basic safety in wireless devices and traffic management.

Buy the cheapest dedicated server or VPServer for one month, or any shell account.

1 Like

But how do I ping my machine? Pinging our public ip will stop at router no?

Ping is a function you have to enable at the router. You can enable ICMP in the firewall (as if it was a port even though it’s not, sometimes it will be presented that way), in both directions if the firewall will allow that (depends on the software). You can also find another location where it is possible to enable it. I would be very careful with this though… it’s something abusers use to scope you out. Maybe you already know that but I just thought I’d say so just in case…