Overclocking ryzen 3200G on Linux?

So I just finally got the last three components for my first-ever build today. I’ve got a ryzen 3 3200G on an ASRock B450M/ac. I put it together and thank god it posted first try lol. So, I went about installing a fresh install of Manjaro, which sucks because I’d worked so hard on the one I had on my laptop but it was intel and just moving it over would have been a nightmare changing everything. Anyway, I made sure it was stable, updated all the packages, installed everything I needed to get up and running, and then went about trying to see about overclocking. I tried the BIOS method from the guide by linuxconfig, which was confusing as hell because the ASRock board I have has 3 different menus for overclocking, but I tried the OC tweaker first…

…Nothing. Every benchmark and “cpupower frequency-info” and dmidecode command I ran showed 3.6GhZ. Geekbench, hwinfo, everything. I overclocked the RAM to 3000 and had zero issues, it showed up in the OS as 3000 MhZ. But nothing on the CPU. So of course I tried the instructions from this very forum, I just made my account here so it won’t let me include links, but it’s the only ryzen overclocking on linux guide there is on levelonetechs, and I made sure to follow it exactly. Nothing. The P-States do in fact show up in a cpupower query and everywhere else, it works with changing the P-States, but it doesn’t have any effect on the actual frequency.

At this point I’m considering selling the MOBO on ebay and buying another B450 mobo with third-gen out of the box support, like one of the MSI MAX boards, but until then for the love of god can someone help? I’ve tried the OC tweaker, the AMD Overclocking submenu in the Advanced tab in the BIOS, nothing I’ve tried has any effect whatsoever in the actual OS. Also cpupower says Boost is disabled, and so the whole “Boost clock: 4.00 GhZ” spec for the 3200G is basically nonexistent. And on my old laptop with an intel i5-3340m which had a boost clock of 3.2 GhZ, the same command says boost enabled: yes and every single command I run shows the frequency as 3.2, the 2.7 or whatever the normal clock was never even showed up anywhere. Any help is greatly appreciated, I’m frustrated as hell. I’ve watched every video on youtube about overclocking Ryzen with ASRock mobo’s as well, and none of them were at all relevant, they all had slightly different menus in the BIOS. And yes, I have the only available BIOS for the B450M/ac. There are no available updates.

EDIT: Okay this is so ridiculous it’s actually kind of funny, but I had tried overclocking the integrated graphics to 1700MhZ too, and sure enough I checked with cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info and IT’S showing as 1700MhZ SCLK! Killin’ me lol. Still can’t figure out the CPU OC.

1 Like

Hello, and congratz on you very first build! :slight_smile:

BIOS overclocking shouldnt be any different than on Windows, would you be able to post some screens from your BIOS, and the settings you currently run in your BIOS? preferrably the CPU and ram side of things, also the power management tab :slight_smile:

Hey I’m so sorry for the late response, I’m at the doctor right now but as soon as I get home I’ll do that. Thanks!

@Kla3, here are the pictures, obviously I couldn’t screenshot the bios but tried to do the best I could.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.