Out of my depth

Hey folks, I’ve been watching many different tutorials online about how to setup Nextcloud to be able to access it remotely, and share files with people over the internet, and I just can’t seem to get it all to work. Mostly because this is way beyond my current skill and knowledge.

I am running TrueNAS Scale, and managed to install NextCloud successfully using the “apps” page. But I am unable to get port forwarding to work. I tried a few different solutions including using nginx-proxy-manager and Cloudflare tunneling. But no luck.

I followed/watched this guide

also watched Wendell’s guide

I am trying to keep the setup as easy/simple as possible. Which one of the reasons I am avoiding TrueCharts and their apps, which have led me down a rabbit hole.

Currently when I type in my address for Nextcloud address “nc.mydomain.com” (nc short for nextcloud) , I get a bad gateway error. So I am guessing my cloudflare tunnel is working BUT something is wrong on my Nginx setup. Does anyone have any tips on how I can trouble shoot, or better understand what is not working? Like some way to “ping” or test my connection?

Again, I am very new to all this, so maybe I am doing this all wrong.

Thank you for your time. (It looks like a lot of people/videos use PortainerIO, I would rather avoid that if possible, unless that is the only way around TrueNAS’s port’s being seen).

Check web server logs, reverse proxy logs and maybe do a traffic capture from both your machine (wire shark) and the server (maybe tcpdump) to see what is going on.

Where does the bad gateway error get generated from?

1 Like

*update.

I’ve managed to get my domain forward via cloudflare tunnel to my TrueNAS system “https://nc.mydomain.com:443” but can’t get Nextcloud to work any port. Tried 9001 (which apparently Cloudflare doesn’t support) and 40443 but with no luck.

I would forget the tunnel until you know it’s working just via your domain or static_IP.

1 Like