Our own git and a community version of the Linux kernel is up!

I always wanted to revisit the scheduler algorithm. I remember about eleventy versions ago when I was megatasking the scheduler made a huge difference and it depended on if I had a spinning rust or ssd system for how unresponsive the system would become depending on what I was doing. That should be worth a revisit/some tests. Picking the best scheduler for a reasonably modern system with an ssd.
IIRC the xeon hardware scheduler/thread manager is available in skylake i5/i7s now? maybe? so that should be turned on if its not built-in now

7 Likes

I would highly appreciate a video on that, an I guess others would also like to know how to squeeze there hardware. May it be budget to speed it up or be it for the top notch to squeeze even the last bit of speed from it =)

2 Likes

I will definitely look into that over the weekend. I think Xen has an interesting scheduler setup. CK does as well and I know it makes a night and day difference for tasks like ROM building and stuff like that. Definitely worth a revisit though. Also looks like I need to merge rc7 too

I can do stuff like that as soon as my desktop is running again and I can find somewhere somewhat quiet. Definitely interested in doing that though. I'd love to teach others about stuff like this.

3 Likes

Would this also be based on the Low-Latency desktop option? I used to clean out my kernel and patch BFS & BFQ all the time, but I haven't been able to because there has always been an issue that i can't solve whille trying to compile my kernel. I used to do it through a fakeroot method

I used to also have two kernels on my laptop. One with all the modules for webcams & microphones, and one without.

Dumb question, will this be mostly arch focused, or will anyone be able to load onto ubuntu. Though I've been thinking of moving to arch but thats a little more work than I'm into at the moment.

This is e Linux kernel source with the CK patch set. Graysky just maintains his own very for Arch. This will work on any distro. I've got to revamp the x86_64 deaf config a bit though for Schedular changes and stuff like that. There is Ununtu ureadahead support now as well so that could be useful for Mint and Ubuntu users.

Generally thoug, there isn't a Linux kernel made for a specific OS. Obviously so,e distros like SUSE mess with it a bit, but this is pure Torvalds source with the CK patch set and a few Xen commodities so far.

As for patching it, check your PM where I can help you more.

The kernel is realtime. Not low latency. Though I would like to go down that path one day as I do a lot of audio stuff

Did a 'small' update today:

1. Merged Linux kernel 4.9-rc8 from Torvald's GIt
  2. Applied CK8 patches:
    -MuQSS scheduler updated to 0.144
    -BFQ updated to v8r5
    -hrtimer improvements
    -Cpufreq tweaks to conservative and ondemand were reverted (I left the Zen stuff in tact for performances sake)
    -HZ stuff now reflects mainline Linux so as to work better with MuQSS
  3. Apple HID keyboard patches so that they work properly
  4. A couple Zen patches
    -Memory killing is no longer premature
    -Dirty workaround for softirqs has been reverted
    -Power tweaks for MuQSS were added

Enjoy!

And WBT is still a thing in spite of having been removed from in 4.9 so I will probably either remove it or just keep it until CK does something with it. It seems all of its quirks have been worked out in CK7 so I think it's better to wait on him for it then to get rid of it

This is crazy... CK just pushed 4.9 stuff 3 minutes ago.. Lemme adjust a few things really quick

Edit: Done. His changes have been made

2 Likes

After a long leave. I am back for break. I'll have a look at what I can do now which is a whole lot more with my desktop back up and running

2 Likes

very cool project! im really into doing linux stuff but as for now i have no idea how to contribute or to help the kernel at all. but y'all get some moral support!

2 Likes

ok. so i watched the newest the lvl1tch video and i got the idea that we also should go and make that kernel really safe

im not an expert in that but i guess some of us are and know what you can do to provide a very good user experience.

so i just wanna say: sec is super important, lets build that into the kernel as we can. and also maybe some vpn thingy?

but yeah i have no clue but im trying to learn stuff so i can contribute.

Level1Tech Kernel party

2 Likes

Seems like a fun idea. I'll wait until there's some actual activity on Git.

2 Likes

do you know how to operate git? some times when i look for stuff i land on git and i have no idea how to download stuff and install that.

maybe a "How to Git" for the project or is it just me who is a fudging noob at git'in?

1 Like

This might be helpful: https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

1 Like

Its just me and one other for now. No one has had any ideas for any projects as of late. I'm going to take a look at the kernel sometime today though.

As for hardening the kernel brought up earlier, I think SUSE did a pretty good job with that so maybe I'll have a look myself :)

1 Like

just wanted to say im currently reading 1200page book "Linux Treiberentwicklung und Kernelprogrammierung" "Linux Driver and Kernel programming" to get a better idea of what to do.

i dont know but whould it be allowed to build the amdgpu-pro driver within in the kernel so it is implemented? like "we put 3rd party drivers into it check this box pls: " ?

1 Like

Guys, so sorry for not keeping up with this thread. I've been busy with life lately. I'll get back on top of things when I can though

2 Likes

i finally made my github account. this friday i have my lpic-1 exam (hopefully i pass it) and i really wanna celebrate by actually improving things.

big question: do we have a gameplan? what do we actually wanna do?

Why did I not know about this sooner?

1 Like