Optane

Hello, i am new here and been trying to ask on forums but no answers from anyone so i would try my luck here atleast, so here is my question, what can i use as a cache drive for my raid 5 hdd for my plex server? using a msi mag b460 mortar motherboard with an i5-10400 and 32gb of ram, mp510 480gb ssd as main drive. want to speed up my drives and they are wd red 8tb have 4 of them but 1 is a cold storage drive

An NVMe SSD will do the trick, 1TB will do fine as cache. Find the confirmed fastest drive for your budget. Done :slight_smile:

so any nvme drive will work then? awsome, thanks for the help, but a 500gb would also be fine?

Theoretically it would, but it could cause more swapping of data and more chance of loading games from the spinning disks instead of the must faster cache. Also, you run into the problem that lower capacity means fewer chips on the NVMe disk, meaning that your transfer speeds will suffer. The “sweet spot” between capacity and speed vs price is moving more and more towards the higher capacity drives, 1 and 2 TB being the most common nowadays, with 8TB NVMe disks beginning to appear on the con- and pro-sumer market (at a price!!).

Thank you so much for your help, then i’ll save up a bit more for a 1tb nvme drive then

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.