Optane H10 viability for developers?

Last night I found a year old video on intel Optane H20. Looked for it on eBay out of curiosity, and only found 1 seller. Not very cheap.

Then I looked up H10. More people are selling it and not at a terrible price.

At work a lot of us have a intel 10700 Lenovo workstations with regular 2.5" SATA SSDs, and after watching the above video I looked and found intel RST is also installed (18.6ish), probably courtesy of Lenovo.

We build Angular apps for enterprise, and .NET 6 services. I wouldn’t say anything is slow on our machines, but we run a lot of VSCodes and Visual Studios. Any point in investigating H10 benefits in our systems? For example does it make node/npm run builds or tests or lint faster?

I read the other day that intel is dropping optane, so it’s not a solid investment, but unfortunately I get very enthusiastic about things I definitely shouldn’t be spending money on.

I can test it for you. Can you point to a project on github that I can run npm install
npm build
on and time it?

Also try builds using a different node runtime, such as Bun.

Looked all day to find something that doesn’t need a D&D textbook to get up and running. Some obvious ones like angular/components and angular/angular required yarn, and couldn’t even build/test/lint them, so I’ll leave those to the coffeehouse MacBook devs.

Found ngx-admin which is kind of a good age (not too old/new), Angular v12, and only needs npm. No tests or lint tho, oh well. At work we’re on NodeJS v14, latest LTS being v16.

I tested with

• PC 1: intel i7 10700, 32GB 2666 memory, Samsung 1TB gen3 nvme SSD (PM981a ?), Windows 10 Pro
  • PC 2: Ryzen 5950X, 32GB 3600 memory, Seagate 1tb gen4 nvme SSD (FireCuda 530), Windows 11 Pro
  • laptop: intel i7 10710U, 32GB 2666 memory, WD 512GB gen3 nvme SSD (SN520), Windows 10 Pro

git clone https://github.com/akveo/ngx-admin.git

npm install
initial:

• PC 1: 146296ms
  • PC 2: 43000ms
  • laptop (plugged in): 68825ms

rm node_modules && npm install

• PC 1: 90130ms
  • PC 2: 40237ms
  • laptop (plugged in): 61575ms

Don’t know much about npm’s cache strategy, but I think initial request does network calls for missing packages and subsequent calls just hit the local cache.

Ran some build tests

npm run build
initial:

• PC 1: 155592ms
  • PC 2: 131998ms
  • laptop (plugged in): 189686ms

run build again without changing anything:

• PC 1: 43819ms
  • PC 2: 35820ms
  • laptop (plugged in): 53604ms
  • laptop (unplugged): 59031ms

Sidenote: after all this I wanted to give the official Angular repos another shot, which required NodeJS v16, so I upgraded my laptop, because that was the least consequential move. Didn’t have any luck, but I tried running ngx-admin builds again, and the finish times increased. Maybe there’s some regression there with npm.

1 Like

What OS was this under?

Just did a quick test on Ubuntu 20.04 under WSL on windows 10 (which has Quite Some Overhead) on a 375gb 1st gen Optane:

found 70 vulnerabilities (9 low, 25 moderate, 35 high, 1 critical)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details

real    0m44.259s
user    0m55.750s
sys     0m46.453s

That’s an i7 10700k/32gb ram. " More ram " helps offset the need for optane as things cache in memory, however optane writes and acknowledges very very fast.

I intend to try this on “bare metal” linux on this same machine also.

Will test the h20 machine soon; likely it’ll be about the same.

Sorry, forgot the OS. Updated my previous comment, tested with Windows 10 (PC1, laptop) and 11 (PC2).

Was also thinking of running it under WSL2 Ubuntu, but in my head that seems a bit too abstracted away from the hardware to give reliable results. Maybe I just don’t know enough.

This is on fedora natively, nodejs 12 installed via nvm
(it seemed to have to compile something, even, as it wanted g++, make, etc)

real 1m37.830s
user 2m12.300s
sys 0m15.598s

If I used pre-compiled stuff:

real 0m6.589s
user 0m9.906s
sys 0m0.715s

This is probably not useful as the distros are different and fedora is probably doing something Special here. Will try to do ubuntu next.

My H10 arrived today, gonna try it in my laptop on the weekend.

Edit: apparently optane requires special bios, that can make sense of the two-part drive. Bios that my laptop doesn’t come with. Fortunately my work PC does, so I can at least try it in that.

Seems to me it really isn’t worth getting these things second hand, cos you either bought a device that can use it and likely won’t need a replacement, or there is no way you’ll be able to use it cos intel has everything locked down.

“theoretically” installing intel rst should let you use it as long as the bios is in the right mode. Doenst have to be raid or anything special.

The H20s are finally getting cheap now. They could be hand for less than $75 for the 1TB model.

What I’ve found about the H20 is that some deep system support is probably necessary. Putting the drive behind a Thunderbolt (Titan Ridge) enclosure exposes only the 1TB NAND, and putting it in a 2 × M.2-to-U.2 adapter (which puts the drive behind an ASMedia 2812 chip) exposes only the 32GB Optane.

I’ve entertained the thought of getting a Y-cable to connect two different ports to the H20, but at $86.25 a pop for the cable, it’s probably better to get a NUC 9 for $550 that’s guaranteed to work with these devices. AnandTech had already found them to be incompatible with a variety of set-ups, and It’s absolutely not worth the resources to make this product work. For $75 plus the cost of that Y-cable and a M.2-to-U.2 enclosure, I could have a 118GB P1600X and the best 1TB+ NAND paired up.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.