OpNSense on minisforum ms-01

I’m setting up a home server for my house. Is it bad idea to run my router on the same machine such as MS-O1 or should I buy another sff for that. Is it safe to run everything on one? Thanks

Unless you will be running a “bare-metal” type hypervisor on the server like Proxmox and virtualizing an opnSense instance, I would use a separate machine.

Even if you were, I’d go with something else since a router should have 100% availability and chances are your home server WILL have some downtimes.

In general, small, fanless, low-power SFFs with two or more 2.5G Ethernet ports are good for a home router and will be very reliable and future-proof. If you are just beginning, anything with multiple gigabit ports is great to begin with opnSense.

1 Like

OK that’s what I thought I’d read but wanted some confirmation. I am new to home server setups and labs. I want to play around with a system to learn and heard good things about the MS-01. I have my eye on the um780xtx as well but don’t think it makes as much sense as the other with all the ports. Do you think it would be a decent candidate as well? Any other ideas? Thanks for that prompt I depth reply.

I’d say the 2.5 GbE is a bit overkill (or will be underutlized somehow). Generally the higher the speed, the higher is the energy consumption. This particular unit may not be cost-effective especially if you do not have gigabit internet.

For the 2.5 GbE to be better felt throughout the network, I’d suggest that you get an unmanaged switch with 2.5 GbE speed.

For the router itself, a simple 2 port GbE should do the trick if you are on a gigabit/subgigabit internet line.

I actually have gigabit and am considering getting 2.5 or 5 in the near future. Basically if I understand you correctly these machines are too powerful for the job and will be wasting energy. Thanks again for the input.