Opnsense gigabyte x710-da2 issue

I have an 11900k & gigabyte aorus x570 master from a previous setup. installed opnsense as I was hoping to test a 10gb bare metal machine with old hardware because I have access to an 8gb google fiber plan.

I got opnsense setup and running on the machine with a intel x550 nic which I wanted due to having rj45 ports on both my ISP boxes. able to access the gui and set one port to WAN and the other to LAN as is just to start getting familiar.

From there I have a full unifi setup, currently a UDM pro, aggregation pro, pro max poe 24, and other smaller unifi switches and AP’s. UDM pro is maxing out around 5gb symmetrically even with IPS/IDS off. around 3.8 with them on. This is plenty for my use cases, but just wanted to tinker given the forbidden router series peaking my interest.

I picked up a intel x710-da2 (not a dell variant) so I can do 20gbps link to my agg pro switch and remove the udm pro to test if I pick up any more speed. However I’ve hit an issue. my aorus mb will not make it past the boot screen when the x710 is installed. I’ve tried updating the bios and clearing the cmos. also tried with all other pci devices removed and tried other slots.

I put the x710 in my windows machine and had to use the tape trick on b5-6 to get it to recognize, and was able to update the firmware using the intel tool so it’s now on 9.4. believe it was 7.0. drivers on my windows machine worked as well and the device is usable in windows so I believe the nic is good.

However even with the updates, it does not allow the gigabyte board to make it to the uefi, with or without the tape covering b5-6 pins. I get to the screen to hit delete to go to the uefi, but it just freezes. are there any settings I need to set in the uefi to get the nic to work, or is it just not compatible with that board? Feel like I’ve reached the end of my knowledge for how to troubleshoot this one. May end up grabbing a x520 to see if it’ll work since the x550 is okay but thought I would check here to see if it’s possible I’m just not familiar enough with some settings or compatibility issue that can it running with what i have.