Open Source Intercom project

I make a living doing IT and AV for training conferences for various clients and one of the things that always bugs me is the cost of the Production intercom systems that we use. For reference these systems can be hard lined using xlr cable or wireless for the show producer to talk to the different production crew such as camera operators or the audio technicians, ect, ect. The cheap systems generally cost $250 or more for the base station and another $150 for each receiver on the hardwired setup and for the wireless setups it can cost $2-5K for the base station and $1k for each beltpack/receiver.

My thought is why not make a rasberry Pi Voip Server that can be run over a wifi network to cover the Intercom needs. I know there are services like mumble, Team Speak and the like. There are a few problems with those for this setup, first they require a monitor and some way to log in to the right channel, and secondly you cant easly be in two seperate groups at once.

This lead me to the idea of setting up an Open Source headless solution that can be installed on any low power Rasbian or similar linux distro that can be setup via a sync button and a channel A and Channel B button.

my main issue is while I am looking at using this to learn to program I have a small amount of base knowledge but i do not have much and I have not found any open source projects that have gone in this direction to either use to learn and contribute to as i develop some skills or to use as a starting place. So I am turning to you all in the forum to see if you can point me in a good direction to get started.

1 Like

This it totally possible, I’m pretty sure that I’ve heard of a few programs that do this in the past but right off the top of my head I can’t think of their names.

Assuming you know the basics of programming I don’t believe it would be too difficult to do, it might even be possible to build a client for any number of the already existing servers, (Like making a mumble-compatible client that solely works via phone button pushes)

If you’re intending to roll your own complete VOIP system there are plenty of examples to follow on github, even if you aren’t going to use one of those as a base.
https://getvoip.com/blog/2017/03/03/voip-protocols-and-standards/ This is actually a pretty informative resource in terms of what technologies are currently used for VOIP.

1 Like

thanks i will check that out

2 Likes

thanks for the link its a great start for what I want to be able to do.