oO.o's Neverending Tech Blog

No rsync in vanilla OpenBSD… ok sure, probably some reason for that…

pkg_add rsync
quirks-4.53 signed on 2021-11-09T19:08:45Z
Ambiguous: rsync could be rsync-3.2.3p0-iconv rsync-3.2.3p0

hmm, ok… but I want to script this and not worry about rsync versions changing in the future…

pkg_add -aIz rsync
Ambiguous: rsync could be rsync-3.2.3p0-iconv rsync-3.2.3p0

wtf is the -z flag even for…

yes 1 | pkg_add -ai rsync
Ambiguous: choose package for rsync
a       0: <None>
        1: rsync-3.2.3p0
        2: rsync-3.2.3p0-iconv
rsync-3.2.3p0: ok
The following new rcscripts were installed: /etc/rc.d/rsyncd
See rcctl(8) for details.

Great job, team. Really the best possible solution here…

I guess I can just echo 1 | pkg_add -ai rsync but who passes up a chance to use the yes command?

4 Likes

Attempt at finding a switch I like #3

5 Likes

For the Colo or a customer?

You going SWOS or RouterOS

1 Like

Colo. Pretty set on Unifi for customers with the controller virtualized in colo. I’m selectively taking cues from lawrence systems.

I would ditch unifi altogether, but once you have half a dozen switches and a few APs at a client site, you realize how valuable the consolidated interface is. If stacking was a thing in Ubiquiti/Mikrotik price range, that would be ideal.

I plan to use RouterOS simply because there’s an Ansible module for it, but I probably won’t use any layer 3 features. I am hoping that the one fast ethernet port isn’t out of band cause I want to plug an IPMI port into it.

3 Likes

Sounds like a business idea for you to try and make for a new brand of gear(never used the pane so no idea what all it gives you)

What about RJ45 SFP adapters?We use them all the time on cisco gear.

1 Like

If you can make sense of my diagram, you’ll notice every single port is used.

The 2 switches are the blue things on the top and bottom. Already planning to use rj45 adapters for the redundant WAN connections into the switches.

I mean only shit I am coming up with is not ideal, was thinking using two of the 4 port SPF+ mikrotik switches and isnt really an actual solution depending on goal, do they make a 48port version XD

They have a 48-port 10GBaseT switch but it has a horrifying thread in their forum. They might have resolved it in a hardware revision, but for years people were having whole blocks of ports cut in and out and Mikrotik didn’t do anything about it. It’s the main reason I haven’t dealt with them until now. Also, inexplicably, it only supports RouterOS, so you don’t have to option to run SwOS.

Didn’t see any issues with the SFP+ switch though and it’s been out for a while.

2 Likes

I feel like i had some isssus with my 12 port 10GBaseT at one point. What about TP Link? (Note buy from authorized resell listed on their site, my rma is being serviced but was a PITA)

Oh you need Ansible , would have to look if they have that support

Doesnt seem they have anything good at first glance

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been digging around and there aren’t any great options. I am happy to have written off used enterprise switches though. That was an expensive conclusion to arrive at.

Speaking of, selling an Arista SFP+ swtich soon…

1 Like

With all the crazy pricing on hardware right now, I am wondering how one of these will fair as a vanilla OpenBSD router. It’s cheap because the Atom CPU doesn’t have AES instructions, but I bet it doesn’t really matter for a basic gateway.

I’m going to set up a network for an art gallery soon. If this tests ok, I’ll use it there. Literally 2 people using WiFi, should be low demand.

3 Likes

Who wants to bet that turns into 10-20

good find tho that is super cheap.
CPU from 2010 damn bish is old, looking into it more

“Doing a simple Iperf between two hosts, top shows about 27% system 36% interrupt and gets me 665 Mb/s throughput. So the Atom is being taxed. Doing a bidirectional test (iperf -d) gets about 50% and 50%, but the aggregate throughput falls to 581 Mb/s (538 and 43.3 Mb/s). That lopsidedness is very interesting.”

So two person wifi should be good for plenty of speed. Guessing wouldnt use for more then 4 ish users, not sure what the ISP connection speed is though.

1 Like

Worst case, I use it at home as CARP failover.

2 Likes

That might be a fun cheap addon to mess with.

I should probably ditch my 10gbe adapter and go SFP+ to save on some power, could probably sell my intels and get a tiny amount of extra cash swapping them out.

1 Like

Wow

2 Likes

Think this might be the best deal on firewall hardware at the moment… takes some extra work for the bios though.

http://drunkencat.net/misc/X10SLH-LN6TF_BIOS(ezsolutionsinc).zip

Also, putting a lot of trust into whoever made that bios…

3 Likes

not bad I run my pfsense on 1275L v3 plenty of power

2 Likes

6 10GbE ports also

2 Likes

Mikrotik came.

Looks ok. It’s not datacenter equipment, but I think it’ll do… that one rj45 port appears to be bridged to the sfp+ ports already, it’s just not on the main backplane which is totally fine.

3 Likes

Weird issue with netinstall on the Mikrotik switch. I am running their netinstall binary from a Debian VM on my laptop. I reboot the switch with the appropriate boot param and it begins looking for pxe. In the Debian VM, I see the switch’s mac address printed repeatedly, then the interface on the switch starts flapping. From the laptop, I see it go up and down maybe half a dozen times, then the switch says pxe booting failed, and starts up normally.

I think it’s just broken? It will only netboot from one interface, so not much I can do to experiment. Going to try to update it manually and see if it gets fixed.

2 Likes