oO.o's Long Term Project: Site (Ansible Collection)

bug report??

i imagine its meant to return all the things in a list, right?

2 Likes

You’d think?

2 Likes

Preliminary push of the network role is up. Still need to update comments/docs but initial testing across Arch, CentOS 7, Debian 11, Fedora 35, OpenBSD 7, Rocky 8 and Ubuntu 20.04 are all passing. macOS and FreeBSD support are partially in place at the moment but not an immediate priority. I will move onto firewalll after this but would like to add some bond/lag functionality to network first because I know I will need it.

1 Like

Found a somewhat similar project to mine:

It is targeting fewer OS’s (but primarily OpenBSD) and taking a different approach. It’s interesting to see. This one requires some more manual intervention (installing Python for instance). The goal of mine is to be completely hands off. I’m not nearly as far along though. Still trudging through the network portion.

The logic in mine is a lot more complicated. I have a feeling it is very complicating for an Ansible project which isn’t great :frowning:

Fresh push to the network role. I think it’s becoming pretty robust. I was able to generalize the interface configuration in a way that I’m pretty happy with. It utilizes recursion to configure child interfaces like VLANs or CARP. It is however, slow. I’m not sure there’s a way around this during the initial run because each interface on each host needs to be configured serially in order to avoid IP address collisions. This means looping through each host, then each interface on each host. In the future, I think I will perform a configuration check and only run the serialized tasks if a changed needs to be made. For now, though, a higher priority is the write the readme and add support for failover and LACP link aggregation. Lesser priorities are to add FreeBSD and macOS support which is partially in place, but the actual interface configuration is missing.

The task files are commented now and long filter sequences are broken up into multiple variables which should hopefully make this intelligible to others (it definitely was not previously).

2 Likes