Only 7.9 gb usable in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I have 16gb of Ram in my motherboard and Windows says I have 16GB but it only has 7.9gb marked as usable.  I have no ram disk. What should I do?

Fx-8320 at 4.2 GHZ (tried running at stock and did not make a difference)

Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0

16gb Corsair 1600mhz Cas 9

Corsair TX 750

Is the ram in the correct slots? ie. dual channel. Consult your manual for proper placement.

you need to disable the max memory option in boot options, at ms-config.

1. Click start > search > type "msconfig" enter
  2. Go to bootup computer and click on advanced options.
  3. Window as shown underneath appears, uncheck the Max memory box. and click ok
  4. reboot system

Grtz Angel ☺

That was already unchecked.  All of the ram slots are full.  I have 4 sticks of 4 of the same exact memory.  

Its a software related windows problem i know that for sure.

Dit you also made the boot settings permenent?

You could also try, because ive got windows ultimate, not home premium, instead of onchecking the max memory option, just type in the box the full memory 16384 MB, then click on oke. then make boot settings permanent!!

I searched around and some people were saying you need to have memory remapping enabled in your bios.

you could try that, that feuture should be somewhere in the advanced settings, maybe ai tweaker. But in my opinnion, its not hardware but software, windows related. if the bios says 16GB of ram installed, then its must be a windows bootup ram problem.

i cannot think of something else realy.

dit you do a clean install of windows on your new system? or did you pick the harddrive from an previous system?

What you can do to check, if you have a DVD burner or USB stick , download a Linux live cd, from Linux mint, or Unbunto, boot it up from CD and look, how manny ram Linux see´s, if it see´s 16GB then its a windows problem for sure!

Windows problem (Restore or reinstall should fix it) or the bios needs an update.

This version of windows is like a week old. The basic BIOS says 8gb of ram installed but in the north bridge it says there are 4096 MB installed in all  4 DIMM slots.  Everything else above doesn't work.  I am running most recent bios.  Will try linux tomorrow.  Got any other quick ideas?

if the bios says that there is only 4 GB or 8GB installed then you could try the ram remap option.

I did that..

With it on I get 7.9gb

With it off I get 6.9gb

Moved to the correct forum - please read next time, and note that the Hardware subforum is antiquated.