Old v. New: Xeon E5-2680 vs. i9-7900X | Level One Techs

Thats the reason i will not upgrade my X99, the X299 its Intel’s “Vega”, but its not one product its an entire lineup of fuck ups, i dont have any intrest in upgrading this time, i dont want RGB or PCIE Reinforced brackets gimmicks, the performance its lacking.

My plan its just to get a 2699v3 down the road and make a homeserver with the PC that i have, then jump to the Mainstream, i think that with the new 6cores becoming common, we will get a new era of stable stuff with more multicore support but like 4-5 years of no innovations, the hardware its there but we need software optimizations right now.

This has got me thinking which way to go for upgrading. I’m rocking a Phenom 1090T at 4GHz with a 7970. It has lasted well for the games I played but recently I have had to lower my graphics down in most games. AMD seems to have some real good options for mutlicore in a good price range. But Intel, although more expensive, seems to preform well even into their old age. I have a lot to ponder.

that phenom 1090T is still no slouch. the 7970 is now what i consider long in tooth age for a GPU. if i am not mistaken a rx470 and rx570 smack it around. but it still hangs in there in most games at medium to high settings at 1080P and is still semi decent for most 1440P games. and for the moment a ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 7 1700 is the best bang for buck when it comes to general use along side gaming. and as far as intel goes well they may have IPC advantage in some areas but amd still puts up a fair fight.

1 Like

Just here to add my 2 cents that I’m running a E5-1660 at 4.6Ghz with a CB15 Multicore score of 1200+. That’s R5 1600X levels of performance from what’s essentially a 3960X. Also running my DDR3 memory at 1866Mhz via XMP with no clawbacks.

For me I need threads and frequency, 8 Core 16thread 4.0ghz is the sweet spot. I use handbrake for encoding HEVC and that stuff takes forever to encode one episode of my bluray library. Say my old FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz max was 7fps. Then I upgraded to a 5820k and max was 19fps, easily doubled going with hyperthreading and better single threaded performance. I just wanted it to be a little faster and my ryzen 1700 brought it from 19fps to 28fps. So newer can be beneficial, but you want to look at price to performance, not intel’s performance king which is outrageously priced.

Spoke too soon. E5 CPU IMCs because of their ECC support are even weaker than something like say the 3960X. If you choose to run high densities on 4 sticks, don’t expect anything above DDR3-1600 to be stable.

Bumping this topic cause the higher core count and lower clock speed E5-2xxx series might be severely affected by the PTI patch planned for all kernels. Of course, with a E5-1xxx CPU, you can overclock it, but E5-2xxx CPUs are multiplier locked, so this is where we could see the high end of 30% performance reduction. E5-2xxx and E5-2xxx V2 CPUs stand to lose a lot from the PTI patch.