Old, used parts PC

So i was thinking about building another PC out of older parts
MAYBE going
i7 3770x
a mobo that works with it
16? gigs of DDR3
and a 780.

Mostly for Linux testing, probably dual boot 2 distros idk yet. I dont really wanna spend more than like… 400 dollars, i have a case and a PSU.
Does anyone know how much USD i would expect to pay for those parts, how much i SHOULD pay for those parts.
Or would it be best to go used Ryzen? and like a 980? I’m just not sure what i wanna do(may also be used as a stream PC)

my current settup is a 3600 and a 5700xt so secondary PC obviously doesnt need to be big dick.

EDIT, i do have a G4560 and a 320(?) motherboard too, im just not sure if 2 core 4 thread is worth anything nowadays at ALL.

Don’t spend any material amounts of money on hardware this old. If you have o e already, great, use it. I still game on a 3570K and it is fine for games over 3 years old and for anything Linux related.

Ram is plenty, overkill for Linux. Easy to get cheap anyway. The 780 will work but if buying one you would be better off getting a gtx 960 which will be similar spec but much more efficient. Again depends if you are reusing.

Yep. First gen ryzen is a killer deal right now and worth every penny. If you have ddr3 to use then go with haswell parts as they still have some life in them. Consumer only. You wouldn’t want to use anything older than 4th gen of you want to stream with it due to codec support.

It will be fine for Linux or a “parent pc”. Heck you could just upgrade the CPU on that mobo to a quad core and it would do everything you want, no GPU needed and perfect for streaming. Easy to do that for $200

2 Likes

that mobo supports 7th gen right? like an i5 7500?
Edit - I’m gonna be putting a GPU in it incase girlfriend/sister wants to play a game on it for whatever reason, i MAY buy a small mATX case sense the mobo is a micro ATX board(my main PC is a mATX small PC)

The 780 is a lot faster than the 960. It’s about even with the GTX 970/1060 3GB. They are power munchers though, eat around 225W for the AIB cards.

Would you recommend a cheaper 8gig rx 580?
I think all i need is a case then… and ill upgrade to a 7th gen i5 eventually.
and a ~1060 equivalent.

I agree with @Airstripone about not buying those parts if you don’t already own them. Recently sold 3770k’s are going for over $100 on eBay, you would be better served with potentially rolling the new Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300x for the same money.

Not to hype new products I have not personally tested. But from everything I’ve seen it will give you better perf than a 3770K, and be new for the same price. Better upgrade path as well.

1 Like

The 580 is faster, and definitely more useful since it isn’t choked by VRAM limits. Most games won’t really use over 3GB VRAM at 1080p, but some do, and the 780 will choke unless you turn down textures. It’s especially noticeable for me since I run SLI though, so it may not be much of an issue with a single card.

If you’re going for the lowest budget possible, a 4GB or 8GB RX570 is excellent if they’re noticeably cheaper than the 580. I used to have a 4GB STRIX one, the little sucker punched far above its weight at 1080p, handled high-ultra in most games without issue. It’s probably about on par with the 780 performance wise, though surprisingly it actually eats more power. 240-297W or so according to Anandtech. So long as you have a 500W PSU you’ll be fine with any of these options though, you need a pretty beefy CPU/GPU combo to go past 500-550W.

^^^ Also true. Old Intel K/X chips are becoming more and more an enthusiast thing, not a value option. The vast majority just go for far more than they should be considering the age of these chips.

i only need 1080 medium settings at 60 fps, my sister/girlfriend dont give ashit about FPS like i do haha, and yeah ive been looking at old CPUs and at how expensive they are.

1 Like

SO… what i may do

8 gigs DDR4
pentium g4560(upgrade to a 7th gen i5 eventually)
1050ti(i have one but its pretty ass(upgrade to a rx 570(80)))
650watt PSU(i have one) 80+ bronze EVGA
Gonna buy a 500 gig SSD
and a mATX 60 dollar case.

Only game girlfriend has any interest in is PlanetZoo and sister plays Ark.

https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-masterbox-q300l-micro-atx/p/N82E16811119331 here is the case for anyone who cares.

Also will use it as a HTPC

2 Likes

Oh yeah, they’re terrible value now. Mainstream boards aren’t too crazy, but the CPUs are expensive. HEDT CPUs can be had cheap, but then good boards are pretty pricey. If you’re looking for FPS/$, they’re not the best unless you score a deal.

I know Ark can be tough to run, but anything else should be fine at 1080p med/high. Back when I mucked about with my 1050 Ti, I could keep 55-60fps at med/high in Destiny 2 with an i7 950, which - while it is a 4c/8t chip - has hooorrible single core perf. That 2c/4t pentium should do better in anything that isn’t purely core-hungry.

16 is small in linux, particularly if you do a lot of VMs.

Please dont put a slash between those two… Unless you want to imply you live in Alabama or something?

You can run OpenMediaVault or Nextcloud server on that very nicely. Bonus is that is pretty much headless and doesnt need videocard and consequently, a video ouput. I’ve learned more linux with attempting to run a server vs actually running desktop linux.

sister/girlfriend LOL. My sister OR my girlfriend.

And a server for Music/Movies that i totally bought would also be kinda nice sense it’ll double as a HTPC.

I’d be curious to see what VMs run like on a dual core pentium :slight_smile:

You can always look into old used haswell xeons on aliexpress. :smiley:
They’re dirt cheap nowadays and you can cheap motherboards with them too.

Won’t be running any VMs, just duel boothing windows 10 and a Linux Distro(probably elementary)

I could dual boot on my main PC but i dont wanna fuck something up and have to reinstall windows or something lol. AND i have the parts ready for a second PC except a case and a SSD.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.