[old] Bitcoin Mining Pool? You in? (OUTDATED, Please go to teksyndicate.com/bitcoin to join!)

For all those who don't know, Bitcoin mining is a way of using your own computer to crunch numbers for the virtual currency known as Bitcoins.

Essentially, your computer crunches number and gets paid for this number crunching with a small amount of Bitcoins. (I know this is an oversimplification, but it is the general idea.)

Although technically, a CPU can mine bitcoins, a GPU is far more efficient.
For reasons that are a bit complicated, AMD GPU's are quite a bit better at bitcoin mining than NVIDIA ones (although NVIDIA ones can still work well). As a result, those with good AMD GPU's will earn the highest amount of bitcoins.

However that does not mean that bitcoin mining is not worth it for people with other video cards.
In an effort to support Logan and the rest of the teksyndicate/RTW team, we have decided to start a mining pool and direct all the profits to them.

Here is how to get started:

1. go to teksyndicate.com/bitcoin
  2. Download a wallet client. This acts as a way to record how many bitcoins your work is generating. Unless you already know what you are doing (and have a weird specific need, bitcoin-Qt is probably the best to use. It can be found here: http://bitcoin.org/ (download link in the top right corner)
  3. Download a GUI miner. Think of this is the program that lets you actually mine the Bitcoins. It can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?23q67zig9hw03l4 (there are others available but this one is as good as any)
  4. Install and run both of them.
  5. In the GUI miner (the smaller window), you will see a series of fields and dropdown boxes. Set the server to 'BTC Guild (any)', Set the device to your GPU (it should be on that by default). This may be just a random string of letters and numbers, but just choose the one that's not your CPU.

For the flags, if you have an AMD GPU, type in "-v -w128" (no quotation marks and include the space).

For an NVIDIA, use "-cuda"

For the CPU affinity checkbox, tick all or all but one. The more you tick, the slower your computer will be but faster it will mine.

If you are just browsing the net or anything, leaving one core free will be more than enough.

You should now start to see a number in the bottom right corner of the window. This is how quickly you are doing calculations. The higher this number, the more bitcoins you will make per time period.

6.In the wallet client (the other window), you should see a green bar at the bottom that says 'synchronizing with network'. This is normal and will probably take a while to complete. Until it completes, you cant actually receive any bitcoins and you wont be working at your maximum rate.

7. Mine!!! You are now done and are free to mine. If you follow the steps above, you will be putting a proportion of you bitcoins into a pool which will then either be used to improve the efficiency of the bitcoin mining operation or just given to teksyndicate.

Note: for games and things, you will want to turn off the mining as it uses all your GPU power. To stop, just exit the two programs. You can mine when you want and it can work overnight or just in the background when you are browsing the net.

Also, it is entirely safe and legal, so you have nothing to worry about for those who are concerned about that stuff.

Happy Mining!

UPDATE: Please place this file into your GUIMiner main folder before starting mining: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?cdcx79ocec2onvh

That file removes any possibility to network throttling packets from being sent to the server.

UPDATE: We are no longer using slush's pool and have moved to the BTC Guild (any) server. Please change your usernames from using periods in it (.) to underscores ( _ ). Also the password is syncronized between all miners to 123. From here on you will only have to inform me on this topic how many usernames you need for how many GPUs you plan on using. If your TS name ends in a letter, it will go name, name1, name2 etc. If it ends in a number, it will go namea, nameb, namec, etc. When you change over to BTC Guild (any), click "Refresh Balance and insert API token dedf8f7f13f2db2e532f888dd5f81e6b in the window that pops up. This will tell you how much BTC we have earned.

I would be very interested in helping out, but I don't really know the first thing about bitcoin mining, nor do I have a Radeon GPU. I do have a GTX 650, and a 570.

If possible, I would just dedicate the 570 to mining and use the 650 for gaming. There are some flags you would have to set in order to use an NVIDIA, but keep in mind, even an old R5870 will destroy it in hashrates :x

i have a 7870 and am willing to contribute :)

I will help, but I only have a 680 4GB, so my mhash/s is terrible, but it is something until I get some AMD cards for mining.

EDIT: I'm now actively mining at 118mhash/s for the TekSyndicate team - woot! I need an AMD card...

If Someone could make a vid tutorial dedicated to this thread that would be awesome! Should the users get some cions back to pay for the power bill?

Glad to see the pool is starting to grow. I'm currently working on getting the hosting set up on my end so we can start soon.

I was thinking about that myself. Unfortunately, I dont have a way to track peers at the moment. But I will make sure to have that done before we officially start.

EDIT: Problem solved.

Okay, so I found a way to keep track of everything. I also have a host pool to use. Email me with your number of workers you will be using (number of GPUs) and the passwords you would like for each one (if multiple). I will also need your wallet adress to send coins back for power costs.

A simple mining program to use: https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=3878.0

(Going to be running on "Server: slush's pool")

You will also need a copy of a bitcoin client (found here): http://bitcoin.org/clients.html

Choose the one that best suits your needs. (I went with the 1st one personally, but read each description and see what one is best for your needs)

good, I like slush's pool. I have an account there myself. give me a wallet address, and I'll send all the bitcoins your way. i'll just keep the namecoins. i'll be doing some mining next week, and probably start up mac mining again on my school's imacs

Good to know, for now send what you'd like to 13s7Gp5dzjH37XdRgdRXDz7QYSkKQWCi2w

I do not have an exchange account right now, and I do not intend on getting one until I have a dedicated rig for solo mining.

But still, all I have to really do is just wait til we accumulate 20+ coins and then send them directly to Logan to minimize fees.

Well, my other alternatives atm are the 4650m, or 6290. I traded my 5830 for the 650. >~<

Well, I downloaded said softwares (Bitcoin-Qt; GUIminer) and installed my 570 again. Not sure what to do from here...

I set it to send the reward directly to the address, once it reaches 1 bitcoin. I currently have .045... so it'll be a while

I feel your pain x_x

keep with the 570 for now while you mine. until you have enough money to upgrade to something like a 7970.

as for starting mining, ive got your login info. send me an email for the info. im trying to avoid multiple people from using the same login info :P

UPDATE: If you are interested in joining the mining pool, please leave a comment in the thread so I can start handing out login info for GUIMiner. Please specify how many GPUs you intend on using as it affects the number of usernames i have to assign to you.

Ive sent emails to all who have replyed so far as well as Logan. PROJECT UNDERWAY! XD

This project needs a name..... Project Bit-Syndicate?

Ooo... So the first donation will be 20 bitcoins, at about $50... that's $500. Wonder what Logan would do with it?....

Who are we kidding.... this endeavor will be used to fund Logan's exotic beer consumption!!!!

XD

That or we could see more PC giveaways? Or even just giving away 7970s to add to the mining pool so we get stronger? SO MANY OPTIONS OPEN UP XD

I wouldn't mind getting a 7970...