Oh musical gods and goddesses i beseech you!

*** Mods I wasnt exactly sure where to put this so move if needed***

I have been playing guitar (amongst other things) for a while, and I want to start recording my own music. I have ZERO idea how to do this.

Can I please get a list of software (free and paid) that will let/help me to make the music I want to make.

I have all the instruments that I need except drums - which I cant play, I was going to use software for them.
Everything else I would be using I have the physical instrument for.

The hardware i have atm is 4x guitars, 1x bass, 1 amp (with audio out jack) and they will be connected to an Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Is direct line in the way to go? or should I play 'loud' and use a condenser mic?

For a reference point the style of music is instrumental metal/rock like Cloudkicker - If you dont know who Cloudkicker is (SHAME ON YOU!!!)

all advice/pointers/tips and help is more then welcome!

Okay, As far as how you record, that will depend a lot on your room and the quality and style of your mic. With electric acoustic, I like to go XLR into the mixer. If you go "Direct in" you really need to have a USB mixer or at LEAST an RCA to 3.5 to your input on your PC; This is a weak option because you really cant split the tracks. In audacity, it will look like one track. So if your mic and guitar are all on the mixer (non-USB) it will come out as one track when recording in one go. However, if you are not singing and playing at the same time, it is fine.

As far as electric guitar goes, I personally use either a line 6 POD direct, or a Sure SM57( in front of amp) to run to the USB mixer. There are some nuances that going direct can miss. However, without a decent mic and good room set-up, a mic can also be a pain in the ass, but done right, it shines. Using a POD allows you to get the loud FEEL without actually killing your ears, though, there are ways around that with a mic as well.

As far as software, check out Reaper and Cakewalks Sonar. Audacity, as stated is not terrible in a pinch.

1 Like

Thanks @ProSonicLive - I knew you'd pop in with sage advice sooner or later!

As far as a dedicated interface I was looking at something like this http://www.bettermusic.com.au/allen-and-heath-zedi8-compact-usb-mixer-zedi-8

So the gear would go instrument -> pedal board -> VOX VTX40 amp -> Zedi 8 - > PC via XLR or USB

Definately dont have to worry about recording vocals - I cant sing

I'll have a look at the software you suggested.
Thanks again!

Not a bad set up! Let us see how it goes. Also, take a look at some of Mackies and Yamahas boards to compare.
Keep up the playing and show us where it takes you!

1 Like