[Official] L1Techs KVM FAQ -- Ultimate Guide & Help!

I have a 2022 MacBook Pro connected to a caldigit TS4 dock. If I connect the KVM to the dock and dock my MacBook with a single a thunderbolt cable, I have video and no keyboard and mouse. My windows PC works fine. If I connect my keyboard and mouse directly to the dock, they work fine. Right now I have a 2 cable docking solution, one for my caldigit dock, and another coming directly from the KVM so my keyboard and mouse works. Not ideal, but workable. Any thoughts?

Are you getting usb hub depth exceeded on the mac? Macs apparently dont like usb hubs connected to a dock in their infinite wisdom. It might work fine via usb3?

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know how to check for “hub depth exceeded” but the kvm is/has been connected via a USB3 type B to type C cable. It’s just odd. And apple is silly.

I have been patiently on the waitlist for a while. Any update on when KVMs will be restocked on the store? Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ll second this, is there any update on the 4x2 DP model?

1 Like

I ended up going with the 4x2 DP model from TESmart. It is only 4k60Hz and USB sharing is at 2.0 speeds but works with my 1440P setup at 144Hz. It is currently on sale and comes with cables and rack ears.

I’ve been researching KVMs for 3x4k144hz displays for a while. I was reluctant to go that route due to window rearrangement on switch. After doing some playing around before purchasing if you’re on a wlroots based desktop (Sway, Wayfire) you can kind of fudge it by creating a headless output with WLR_HEADLESS_OUTPUTS=3, setting the headless outputs resolution and refresh rate to that of your monitor, then configure your actual monitor to mirror the headless output. As you’re only removing the mirror on disconnect, nothing gets broken or rearranged.

I guess a similar strategy could work on other OSs but I only know Linux.

Does anyone know how this approach would likely affect adaptive sync? I can’t see how it would still work but I’m willing to sacrifice it if it means less stressful switching.

I just bought the 2 computer 3 montor DP1.4 KVM with usb 10gbps.

Very impressed.

I am confused on the KVM keyboard shortcuts - can a keyboard plugged into the USB3 console port on the back invoke them, or just keyboard on the HID ports on the back?

Only the white USB-HID ports can use keyboard shortcuts. You can use the white USB-HID on the front as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming. For now my keyboard has to be connected to a KVM built in my monitor that connects to the console input usb3 port not HID port.

Once you have the 4 computer / 2 monitor / 10gbps KVM ready I will switch to that and drop the use of the monitor KVM :slight_smile:

Also i have insane amount of USB2/3devices plugged into the Level 1 tech KVM including a webcam and it is all working beautifully! Nice product :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great to hear!! Let us know if you have any trouble. :smiley:

Just to clarify; The reason we use the USB-HID standard is to ensure the keyboard shortcuts will always work. If a keyboard has to be plugged into the USB 3.0 port, that means it is violating HID spec. We can’t reasonably include all the proprietary (and sometimes janky) ways keyboards signal to the PC. It following a standard is easier and more concrete. Consistent.

1 Like

No trouble (so far, i know dangerous saying that).

Did have to buy 1 ‘modern’ DP1.4 cable to get 120hz VRR working reliably (monitor would reset every so often) it’s possible the old cable was a DP1.2 cable, so no surprise there!

1 USBC out goes to an older TB3 laptop (directly into it, because going through the Dell WD19 Dock generate a ‘too many usb hubs’ error).

1 USBC out goes to shiny new gaming rig

this lets me downsize from 4 monitors on the desk to 2 monitors, do work on laptop and gaming on the ‘big-rig’ at 4K 120hz+

Worth every penny of the KVM!

1 Like

If you’re tech-savvy, you might try the remote shortcut switching from the FAQ. There’s a thread and GitHub page about it! That way, you can use your keyboard in a USB 3.0 port and also use shortcuts. We don’t officially support it but there’s nothing wrong with trying :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, as it is on top of my desk i can just reach over and press the button the front, which based on the G915 hotkey thread is something i will have to do as I have a G915. #thanks_logitech

1 Like

Is there a way to have the KVM ignore the shortcuts to switching PCs?

Its really messing with my ability to play Hogwarts

1 Like

Have you tried mapping the switch button from shift to scroll lock?

Shift is used a lot in games, but scroll lock is much less common :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You should make some Videos on how to do keyboard stuff (evergreen content and extra method to see something done besides read)

its using scroll lock and left ctrl

the left ctrl is what i need for the game.

yay thank you

Any idea when the PAAG-E3124B (4in 2out DP1.4) KVM will be back in store?

Is it possible to ship it to Romania? I have your regular video cards from AMD and NVIDIA, an AOC 1080p monitor, a DELL U3219Q (integrated KVM, 4k/60Hz) and a Corsair K70 type keyboard and mouse. Do you see any potential issues with this gear?

Knowing at least a remotely realistic availbility date will make the wait so much easier… I can’t stand manually switching things anymore… :smiley: