[Official] L1Techs KVM FAQ -- Ultimate Guide & Help!

Hello! Regarding my previous issue I can confirm that KM switch works with EU to US adapter, but I’ve encountered another issue. When using mouse roaming to switch between computers it seems that mouse driver in the switch assumes the monitor has 16:9 ratio (or something similar). This results in 32:9 (G9 Neo) monitor having double the mouse speed in horizontal direction compared to vertical. I’ve seen the same behavior on both Macbook and windows 11 PC. When I run PBP and split it in half the mouse seem to be behaving correctly (as if I had 2 different 16:9 monitors). My current mouse is Steelseries Rival 310.

@wendell

I bet there’s a good chance this mouse should be used in the blue USB 3.0 ports.

The mouse roaming feature requires a mouse to be plugged into the white USB-HID ports and compliant with HID specifications.

So, my guess is that unless it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, it won’t behave properly because of something like Steelseries propriety firmware, polling rate, etc. that breaks HID spec.

Do you have any recommendations for the HID compliant mouse? Quick search shows me that people don’t really look at compliance with HID specification as priority on mouse recommendations. I also tried Logitech B100 which is probably the most basic mice I’ve ever owned, with same issue.

Also a different question. Is there a way to turn off the LED indicators on the switch? When everything is turned off (or sleeping) I still have all the LEDs turned on. Even when power to all devices was tuned off the indicator connected to sleeping Macbook was lit.

Hm. Let’s see what Wendell thinks when he replies.

Don’t think so :confused: only sound

You can try emailing wendell for more tech support at: [email protected]

1 Like

Fibbr Flash144 cables - are these the ones that suffer the overheating issue? I bought six of them, and I’m getting display artefacts on both 4K monitors I’m running. They appear to be the only sort of Fibbr cables available in the AU amazon store, so I’m wondering if I need to send them back or not :frowning:

(I tried to link to the ones I bought on Amazon, but apparently that’s not allowed on the forums. B09LCQVP9L is the product code on the Amazon AU site).

Try locating other wires away from the ends. At least one other person was getting external interference at the cable ends.

Do they otherwise feel hot?

No, they don’t feel especially hot, they barely feel warmer than ambient.

The cabling ends don’t seem to have anything near them other than everything else that’s plugged into the KVM, PC or monitors - but I’ll go and buy some cable tidy stuff and see if I can improve the situation - it’s a bit of a rat’s nest back there at the moment.

Thanks for the speedy response wendell :slight_smile:

@wendell - looks like you were right on the money. I’ve unplugged the 3.5mm audio cables that I was running to the KVM, and the video artefacts all look to have disappeared - so I guess I need to find some better ones of those to transfer sound. Thanks again!

1 Like

I’ll add this to the FAQ

I’ve been using Persistent Windows for a while, but corporate IT demanded I remove it yesterday, so I’m back to square 1 on my win 10 machines.

Any chance the new edid feeders might be in stock in the new year?

What kind of EDID feeder are you wanting?

Yeah, I asked because the new DP2.1 ones are much cheaper than the old DP1.4 and I needed more. So I figured I will get that even tho my monitor is DP1.4

Does anyone have any good suggestions on 3.5mm audio cables which aren’t likely to cause interference with the displayport cables? Obviously the ones I bought originally are terrible and cause a lot of noise.

1 Like

Can anyone shed light on the performance of a Thunderbolt connection with a KVM? I’m using the 2 PC 2 Monitor 10Gbps model and connecting my devices via the 10Gbps ports—one to an M1 Pro and the other to the USB 3.2 Gen 2 port on my motherboard. I’m considering adding the Universal Apollo Twin MkII with its Thunderbolt connection and am wondering if a USB-B to USB-C adapter would suffice. I’m aware that USB standards can be confusing, so I want to confirm if this setup would work. Also, while I don’t expect I would ever need the full 10Gbps for the audio interface, I’m curious if the connection will still function properly.

Honestly, I’d probably see if Anker has any. Their cables usually work well for me:

I got the Amazon Basics one and they have been working pretty well.

I have a lemokey keyboard with wirelss dongle in my 4 port DP1.4 KVM that has full bandwdith USBC ports.

If i have the doingle in any of the HID ports it works with my dell laptop on the PC3 port. However my ASUS Z790 based system on PC4 refuses to see the dongle at all. Moving the dongle to a full USB port (either the A on the front or the C on the back via hub) and the dongle works fine.

The dongle is the only device plugged into any of the ports marked HID, i have tried moving this device between the 4 ports (the one marked HID on front and the three marked HID on the back)

I am at a loss as to what would be causing this issue on one machine (maybe a BIOS setting?)

Any ideas.

–edit–
weird, now its not working on the laptop either - but was earlier (i was moving the dongle around)

in the ASUS BIOS the dongle is detected as a keyboard device, it just doesn’t work…

i am guessing this is a firmware issue on the keyboard that is causing unreliable results at this point?

Does anyone have issues with the KVM hotkeys not being detected on MacOS? When I’m on windows, I can use the LCTLR x 2 and switch to the laptop, but I can’t do that on my M1 Pro. Not sure if it’s a mac issue or what.

Also, has anyone had any success doing KVM switching through a stream deck?

What are you using here?

I have some more interesting issues to report on. This one seems to be KDE’s fault but my new linux install no longer recovers propperly from switching on the KVM. The screen mostly acts as if its still switched off except I get the application launcher… Ill see if I can get some photos of the behavior but its hard to capture in a non-jank way given how it breaks stuff.