Off-site backup nas config help

i got a nas in my room and i want to configure a second system for remote off-site backup.

current nas

part brand model part nr. notes
cpu amd Ryzen 5 5500
cpu cooler amd cpu box cooler
motherboard asus stryx b550-i
ram G.Skill ripjaws v 32gb (2x16) ddr4-3200 cl16
case jonsbo n1
ssd kingston a400 120gb 2.5" sata ssd
hdd-0 seagate exos 7E8 3.5" 4TB hdd
hdd-1 seagate exos 7E8 3.5" 4TB hdd
hdd-2 seagate exos 7E8 3.5" 4TB hdd
hdd-3 seagate exos 7E8 3.5" 4TB hdd
hdd-4 seagate exos 7E8 3.5" 4TB hdd
psu evga supernova 550 550w 80+ gold sfx

I’m running proxmox with a vm running truenas, the hdds are passed through to the vm.
its linked up with a 10gbaseT asus pcie nic, and im using raidz2 for my pool.

i build it myself (after building my own pc 6 month prior), and i cant find how to configure a backup server.
I’m not looking for something fast, just reliable and low maintenance (possibly no hdd).
got a rack where im planning to place it. but i have no clue how to correctly configure the system.

important note

• im a student, so budget is limited
  • i live in northwestern europe

FreeBSD + RockPro64 + ASM1166-based controller card, done?

interesting idea, my nas is jank enough tho. thanks tho

If you really just need backup, have you considered using a cloud storage provider? I personally backup my NAS to Backblaze on a nightly basis, it’s not that expensive and requires less management overhead than a replication target built on another TrueNAS box.

1 Like

You wanted something cheap and lower-power? If you have other requirements you’re better off telling people them from the start.

1 Like

i did say budget was limited, meaning I’m not willing to spend 5 figures.
what I’m looking for is something rack-mounted but i have no idea what the options are.
I’m willing to go with something like a ryzen like my nas but would prefer ecc.
also, i never said low/lower power, but as long as it doesn’t suck a ton ill be fine.

Buys something like this used:

Then load TruNAS on it and you are off to the races.

Why would you by something ancient (10y old hardware)?

How limited is your budget, specifically?

thats what im looking for, i just don’t want something ancient for reliability reasons (mobo tends to die in weird ways after x years i heard).

what would be decent ones i could look for?
(and for storage, do i need more/less/equal compared to my nas??)

undecided, got 1k ready but am still saving up.
do hope to keep it near that seeing i paid around that much for my nas setup (including storage)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.