Off Grid De-Centralised Network

I don’t have the tech background to judge this and hoped some community members could review this.
I can see the use in emergency situations.
Is it something that I could eventually use to do basic internet browsing to forums?
What else would it be good for?
How secure is it ie; big brother?

Id like to see the performance of sending 10mb through 1000 nodes.

A wireless mesh network with no subscriber info would be interesting. The code needs to be verifiable and apps are old news.

But it is wireless and that means it shall accept any and all interference…

Seems more like a concept ATM.

Cool find

3 Likes

I definitely like the concept and I think this sort of thing can be an important tool for emergency situations but unfortunately most public, decentralized networks rely on some level of trust of all the participants. If you have a bad actor, it can be impossible to remove him from the community without having to lock it down in some way.

I do think the internet itself needs a private and secure alternative network, but unless you can somehow vet all the participants, which will always be limited to small area networks, it easily becomes an attractive tool for criminals and then a target by big brother as we’ve seen in examples like TOR.

1 Like

Isn’t there a thing like this already, netsukuku or something?

This device wouldn’t be anymore secure than the current WIFI systems we have to day, meaning it would be very easy for big brother to spy on you. While the article was interesting, I don’t see the need for this device,since most cities already have large hotspots,we’re people can get any kind of information they need.

Important use for this is for disasters where widespread power outages have rendered internet, cellular, even municipal networks offline. This can be used as a backup to keep in touch with neighbors using cell phones and such all talking together without an internet connection.

Thanks @Klingon00 for your post. Ok I can see a use for it, but I still don’t understand how this device would work if the disaster knock out the power, unless each device provides its own power and each device connect to each other, kind of like a tocan ring network.

Yep, these devices would have to run off their built in batteries and charge via some off-grid method. Generators, solar panels or something.

If I understand it correctly, it uses standard wifi protocols in a mesh network, not unlike in an enterprise environment where you would need to cover a large area of an office building with a single SSID using multiple access points for example.

1 Like

Oh, that is very interesting, so it isn’t as complicated as I thought. Thanks for answering my question.

The only way i see something like this taking off with the general public is if you went to a disaster area and just started handing them out. Most people wouldnt go out and spend the $50 to make this on their own

1 Like

I’m more of a fan of hyperboria.

https://hyperboria.net/

2 Likes