Odd copy/paste behavior for folder naming in KDE

I use Aurora (KDE 6.7.2) and have a weird paste problem when creating folders and naming them based on a copied name.

In W11 I can copy a word of string of words and then create a new folder, and paste with Ctrl+V that name.

But in Dolphin, when I copied that name BEFORE creating the folder,

It just turns into this:

I then have to copy the string again (or select from the Clipboard contents) to paste it. If I copy AFTER creating the folder, it works as expected and the word pastes into the name field jsut fine.

Of course, i tried to adapt my workflow to not have added clicks and copying. but it just is easier to do it the normal way. and sometimes i use the same copied string for multiple actions and then naming this folder requires me to copy (or select) it again.

Is this a bug, or a better way of doing that with as few actions as possible?

I sometimes download and sort a lot of music and this is very frustrating. I paste an album name into YT, but also into the folder field.

Operating System: Aurora 44
KDE Plasma Version: 6.7.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.27.0
Qt Version: 6.11.1
Kernel Version: 7.0.11-200.fc44.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 24 × AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-Core Processor
Memory: 32 GiB of RAM (30.4 GiB usable)
Graphics Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-Core Processor
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Name: B850M DS3H
System Version: Default string-ADO

I must have outstanding search engine operation skills, I quickly found this

which is an extension that works around this bug.
That is source-only so you probably cannot install on Aurora. Who knows.

Anyways, as mentioned in the readme, the fix is already submitted upstream and will land in the next Qt release in a month. It will eventually trickle down to distros as they update their stack.

Note: The relevant bugfix has been merged on The Qt Project and it will be shipped with Qt 6.11.2.(release scheduled on August 13, 2026) Please install the fixed Qt version over installing this fix.

1 Like

You are correct, it won’t work on Aurora. I also would hesitate a bit to install extensions that aren’t officially provided by the DE or OS.

I’m happy waiting a few months knowing it is being addressed

They do recommend that over applying their fix:

Please install the fixed Qt version over installing this fix.

Aurora is Fedora based, so new DE versions come quick. I assume the fix is for distros on LTS DE

Anyway, I’m glad one papercut will be removed shortly. Thanks for the info.

It looks like KDE 6.7.5 fixed this bug.

I was able to copy a text, paste it. After that i created a new folder, and was able to just paste the previous pasted text. As one would expect. I tried multiple times and it seems to work fine now.

1 Like

This doesn’t exactly answer your question but I’ve noticed something that changed with KDE Plasma at some point in the last few months to do with copy & paste behaviour; Sometimes I’ll copy something and then when I go to paste, either nothing happens or I get some window pop up saying that Ctrl+V isn’t bound to anything or something along those lines. I then have to copy the file a second time and then it’ll paste. I’m not sure if this is a bug or some kind of change in the copy/paste behaviour..

Edit: Just saw the problem was already solved. My bad.