OC Help i7 8700k

Hi guys,
I got myself some new parts a while ago:
i7 8700k delidded and pretested 5.1 GHz at 1.41 volts
Be quiet dark rock pro 3 (tp: thermalgrizzly kryonaut)
MSI z370 gaming m5
2x8gb Gskill trident z 3200 (cl 16 not sure)
Msi GTX 980ti Lightning
EVGA supernova g3 650w
500gb Samsung 850 evo
2 TB Seagate SSHD 3.5’
Fractal define S Windowed (3x 120mm be quiet silent wings 3 pwn deint, 1x 140mm be quiet silent wings 3 pwm back)

I never got the 8700k run at desired speeds because I always get a bluscreen whenever I started a cinebench R15 run. I don’t know what’s best for voltage OC override, offset,…
Does anyone got experience with voltages on this chip is 1.41 volt save for 24h gaming?

I would love to discuss and learn with you guys.

Greetings from Germany
BBillio

You shouldnt need to go all the way to 1.41 to hit 5.1ghz. Try 1.35 @ 5ghz and see if that runs. if you’re going to go for this you should turn off auto voltage as well as any kind of turbo. Also look into vdroop and LLC because those are going to be crucial to understand. Gamers nexus has a good video on LLC and what you should do with it.

If 5ghz @1.35 vcore runs ok, which I think it should be able to, then you can try to push for 5.1 and see what it takes.

Edit: it should be noted that im just a 7700k pleb running 4.7 on stock voltages. I have not hit 5ghz due to cooling issues and my advice should be taken as such.

1 Like

Not all silicon is created equal can you get it running at lower speed etc? 5.1 is not a guarantee, start lower and go up.

It can run 5.1 GHz I am just too noob to get it stable. I can’t find information about what LLC to use. Der 8auer made a video for Asus boards but MSI is different and I am not able to get his pretested cpu to work. Which voltage mode should I use? Override, offset,…?

I tried almost every LLC but I never got it running more than 5 seconds in cinebench. 4.9 GHz was the highest I can get but it always freezed my PC after 10 minutes gaming :confused:
My CPU is guaranteed to hit 5.1ghz at 1.41 volts. It got tested on a Asus Maximus with a noctua nhd-15.

1 Like

This is long but informative

As far as the differences in that board, I’m not anywhere near an expert but @MisteryAngel might know a thing or two here.

I know on the asus maximus is LLC 6 the right one. Unfortunately der 8auer only made a video for OC on Asus :frowning:

How do you know? Not all boards are created equal

Yeah well it really depends from cpu to cpu,
and from board to board really.
If the Asus boards manages to reach 5.1GHz on a said chip,
doesnt mean that the Msi board would be able to do the same on similar settings.
This really depends on the UEFI / Bios aswell.
But also every cpu is different aswell, its never guaranteed that you will reach the same clocks,
as somebody else.

Fine tuning voltage for a certain overclock can be pretty time consuming.
But you could try to set 5.1GHz at the same voltage and then pick the higher LLC level, to avoid a massive over volting under load.
But maybe the Msi boards just needs a higher voltage to start with.
Asus on their ROG boards have a very great Bios for overclockers.
Msi click bios can be a bit fiddly sometimes.

Der 8auer tested it on the hero board and shared his result.

5 GHz is now stable on 1.39 volts and LLC 4. I think I am not gonna get the 5.1 because LLC 4 drops voltage down 0.2 volts and LLC 3 up 0.2 volts. So I have to go out the comfort zone to get a stable 5.1 OC.

that high voltage and LLC on a air cooler sounds a bit “nasty” to me, what are the load temps? packet and VRM temp? sounds like you are pushing a bit to far in the wrong direction “imo”!

-Kla3