NVMe Raid5 - Threadripper

Hello

I’m planning to build a PC on which I need a quick data storrage because I have to load for different Projects more than 3 TB of Data.

So I was thinking, I could use a Threadripper Plattform with 3 NVMe on the Motherboard and 4 NVMe on a PCIe Card (with PCIe bifurcation).

I would use one nvme for the Win 10 System and then 6 2 TB NVMe in Raid5. But I’am not sure if that works in Windows.

Is it possible, to build that Storrage Raid5 in Windows? I have seen on RaidXpert2 that you could choose Raid5 - but how does it work and when one drive fails, how would it be rebuild?

Thanks for help.

There are single drive options such as this

Honestly Idk what kind of performance you really need

Benchmark for drive

I would honestly probably just look for some enterprise level drives instead of dealing with raid that will be software for sure on windows

Another option if you want new

Agreed. It might just be simpler just to have one fast nvme. If you check out this benchmark you don’t gain a whole lot by implementing RAID 0 or something like that.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux418-nvme-raid&num=1

You’d be better off just having a standard backup process and using one disk. In my opinion.

1 Like

Thank you guys - I think i’m a step further. My idea won’t work because Raid5 and Raid6 is not supporten on den mainboards (unfortunately). So the only option would be use a raid 10 with nvme drives or buy a raid card that can handle such Intel SSD’s. Does anyone have some experiences with these and what kind of raid card should I buy?

for example, would this controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 2840A
with this cables: DeLOCK Adaptercable SFF-8643 > U.2 SFF-8639 + SATA curent
work with the Intel SSD DC P4500?

thanks for your reply

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.