NVME RAID 0 slow sequential writes

Hello from Australia

This is my first post! I was directed here by a fellow L1 member from Aus.
I have finished my first AMD build, 1950x in a x399 MSI MEG and I’m loving it. So much horsepower and running super chill under the XSPC waterblock at 4.1ghz all cores 1.3v.

…The issue… I installed 4x adata xpg sx8200 pro 256gb m.2 drives on the MSi Aero Xpander add in card that comes with the board and setup raid 0 in bios following MSI’s instructions and installed all three of the latest AMD raid drivers in order during Win10 install.
Everything worked fine, installed and ran like a dream EXCEPT my write speeds.
ATTO Disk benchmark shows max seq Read at approx 12000MB/s but my writes are 3500MB/s ???
Crystal Disk Mark shows seq 5500MB/s Read and 3000+MB/s writes.

I have the add in card installed in the 4th pcie slot which MSI states is a 16x slot and my 1080ti in the 1st slot.

I have no idea how to start troubleshooting this.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Some pics of the rig…

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13759/comparing-adata-sx8200-pro-vs-hp-ex950

According to this, the writes looks to be in line with what RAID can usually provide.

The writes on the XPG SX8200 256GB model is about 1.2GB/s.

If you wanted more speed than that, you would of needed 4x 1TB drives.

RAID0 isn’t a perfect multiplication of speeds also, so expect some losses.

1 Like

Thankyou so much Novasty, I feel silly not noticing the different write speeds between 256gb, 512gb and 1tb.
My other query then is if ATTO records 64mb seq reads as 12000MB/s why is crystal diskmark only recording around 5500MB/s? Is this just a software issue?
Also if you create a RAID in windows and need to format the OS drive. When you re-create the raid will it keep the data?

It is very much likely it is a software issue.

I’ve never actually used Windows software RAID, so I wouldn’t be able to answer that.

Thankyou so much for the speedy reply!
I’ll put up some bootable RAID 0 results for X399 in a relevant forum soon.
So far it hasn’t been a difficult experience, honestly don’t notice any real world performance over a single 970 evo.

Cheers

This has already been covered well, but wanted to add in a little. NVMe is not a cure all for speed. When working with large files where you have a write op that takes many seconds, NVMe CLEARLY has an advantage. If you’re working with smaller files, you may find that buying higher quality SATA SSDs work better. This may sound counter-intuitive because of the interface speed being limited to roughly 750 MB/s (6Gbps/8), but the facts are that working with small files slows down ALL drives of any type, and the advantage a SATA SSD has over a PCIe NVMe is form factor. For instance, Samsung can get V-NAND 2-bit MLC inside the SATA SSD formfactor at a somewhat reasonable cost, considering the speed it gives you with random read/write ops with smaller files. It’s basically impossible for Samsung to put memory that fast on an NVMe, with any capacity larger than 256GB, and the costs are in favor of the SATA SSD.

An example: SAMSUNG 860 Pro Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76P1T0BW.

The bottom line is, if you really need top speeds, you have to understand your usage, which type of memory storage chips are better suited for that usage, and what is your capacity requirements. If you only need this to be a swap area for creating files, which you will then move to another drive, then buying 4 256 if perfect, but you still have to consider the quality of the NVMe’s and the type of memory they’re using. I consider building files to be similar to writing small files, as whatever application can only write parts of that file when that specific part becomes available. If indeed you are creating files with video editing or various other reasons, and you NEED the speed, AND you can deal with 1TB being enough of a temporary storage area for the files you create (I need about 4TB so NVMe RAID is too costly for the speed I need), then something like a SAMSUNG 970 PRO 512GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive would work well. I don’t know if you can find a 256GB variant of something that will perform to this quality. You probably could 2 - 3 years ago. Check out the specs of something like this vs. other NVMe’s, and you can’t look at the one “PRETTY” stat that shows off what the drives do with a sustained transfer of a LARGE file. If you are constantly building files, then you want to look at the random read/write results with small files.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.