Nvidia Publishing Supporting Documentation to Open Source Devs

k

No one is being forced to used Nvidia.
No one is being held hostage to Nvidia.
No one is vendor locked into Nvidia.

It’s really difficult to take some of you seriously when you spew stuff like this. Fluff or not, this is a good thing and a step forward in the right direction.

Everyone starts somewhere. Whether it’s a round robin kernel, or a calculator app, or documentation to assist with development.

7 Likes

Ever heard of CUDA?

So is food for hostages.

1 Like

Yeah?

Why does my AMD processor only work in AMD boards? I am oppressed and vendor locked. I hate AMD now.

5 Likes

Nah definitely not with you there. You don’t have to use cuda for anything really, but it is certainly beneficial in some of them. And that is not being locked in that is just a choice you have to make for your self.

1 Like

Sorry, if you are in the scientific community, you’re pretty much forced to use CUDA. Sure, you’re not FORCED to do it… Just like you’re not FORCED to work for money you know…

2 Likes

When you start using slavery analogy while discussing open source vs. proprietary software you are only discrediting your own arguments. Like @AnotherDev said, when you start throwing stuff like this to the table it’s hard to take your arguments seriously.

1 Like

100/100 times you guys would say “Mac sux, use Lynoox”, but since it’s Nvidia we’re talking about it’s “Oh poor Mac users :cry:”

Pro tip, don’t use Mac for data science.

Lol dude, two steps forward and 30 steps back.

If nvidia purposely uses force to strip me of my freedom get me to use their cards then I will consider your analogy

Seriously though. This is a new low.

@kewldude007 @Eden

You want to know what other problems I have with the forum?

Heres a prime example. This should not be allowed to continue in my opinion. Its always toxic to discussion and there is no reason for it to be here.

5 Likes

@kewldude007 I’m leaving this shit here for all to see.

If you’re going to make an absolute fool of yourself, I’m not going to hide it.

@sceps you need to get outside.

This sort of FOSS zealotry is the exact sort of thing that makes this forum a miserable place to be. Everyone needs to do better.

4 Likes

Any further zealotry behavior will not be tolerated.

-Alpha supreme leader tsk

I dunno if it’s fair to simply call it FOSS zealotry. There are two sides to any argument. But it certainly got toxic in here and both sides got emotionally charged. And certainly people need to pick their analogies more carefully.

Especially that last part. I think that was the tipping point. Why throw oil on the fire with analogies like that…

Look, you can call it what you want, and I prefer open source software where possible, but fuck me, comparing proprietary software to slavery?!

2 Likes

I agree?

I have the same position as far as I can tell. I just have a wait and see opinion? Wow. Yeah. You guys are right. This forum isn’t worth it.

The point is, I’m sick and tired of people derailing a thread about X company that makes proprietary software doing something nice for devs to shit on them for not embracing Stallmanism.

In fact, most of the mods and leaders are.

3 Likes

/sigh. Just don’t mistake that not supporting X company doesn’t automatically mean they’re a FOSS zealot. I think both sides are plenty over eager in their defense.

And to emphasize it once more, I agree the slavery analogy was on called for.

1 Like

With all due respect, you’re somewhat new here, but the recurring theme is that any time Nvidia, Intel, or Microsoft does something open source it’s either:

1. Too little too late
  2. Not good enough
  3. A lie/trick to hurt people
  4. A global conspiracy being implemented to steal our rights

It’s always the same 10 or so people. I’m being very generous right now, and using “open source” as an example. But, really, anything casting those three companies (among others) in a positive light gets derailed and shit up because they know, I’m assuming, that the thread will get locked and it’s mission accomplished.

They are zealots and extremists in the worst sense. They might use their little free software but they don’t stand for free software. They don’t want open source, they want fascism and totalitarianism. If that seems exaggerated or hyperbolic go through the Windows section or Linux section and read some of the threads from a year or two ago.

It was so bad that several members (more than 10 or 15) have blocked the entire operating systems section because these people can’t be reasoned with. You’re missing a huge bit of context, and while the slavery thing was definitely new, the gun to your head and being “forced to use X” is not new and is the go-to for the most part.

5 Likes

Can we agree that any vendors contributions to open source or even closed source is motivated by profit? And that zealotry on any topic is annoying at the least?

Well no matter how you boil it down it sucks. Later.

(edit /sigh I wasn’t implying that profit is evil. Just that it’s not exactly benevolent either)

If nvidia does something that benefits me, and profits on the way so be it, it’s a win win.

4 Likes

Any contributions by anyone to anything is motivated by profit of some kind. Anyone who suggests otherwise is lying.

Might be another discussion though.

1 Like