Nothing listed under dev/sdb. Help!

So this is the third time I post this, but I want to get it done. I want to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the second hard drive. When I boot from the disc and go trough the installer and then to the advanced partiotionning tool there is nothing listed under dev/sdb. I tought there was supposed to be "free space" under it, but no there is nothing just blank. I do not know anything about computers but want to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu. What do I do?

And now that we are on the topic of dual booting is this a legitimate way to do it?:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/05/31/dual-boot-ubuntu-14-04-windows-7-on-a-pc-with-2-hdds-and-uefi-firmware/

Sorry for the bad grammar and thanks already

sdb is typically a second serial drive of some sort. It might even be connected via a USB port too.

So the real question you're still not answering is: what the (explicative) do you have? Do you have a PATA drive or a SATA? Or a mixture of PATA and SATA and then how are they connected? We'd also need to know how may controllers are installed and activated too!

It's quite likely that your boot drive is actually "sdc". Or it could even be something like "hda"!  (And if you don't know the difference between SATA and PATA then that's something else you would need to get a grip on before continuing as well.)

Without knowing what you have, about all I can advise is to open up GParted (which is on the live version but not installed when the OS is installed) and report how many different devices you can see -- it's in the top right corner of GParted where you select the different devices. Once you know the correct device (which might be anything from "hda" to "sdg" or something) can anyone really help. But if you do that then you may have just answered your own question!

I do have a Seagate Barracuda as the main and secondary drive both are connected by SATA III. I will look into what you said and reply after

I repeat just to make it clear: *I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING TO THE DRIVE AFTER PLUGGING THE SATA AND POWER CABLES, NO FORMATTING OR ANYTHING*