Not sure where to post this? Linux or Hardware?

So I have a R7 1700x on a biostar x370gt7 my only problem at the moment is that Kubuntu 16.04.2 wouldn't load from a live usb so i could not even try it out or install it. I have read that the alc1220 codec is only supported on kernel 4.11? As of right now I just want to get my new system up and running, however I might have missteped when I purchased my motherboard, as of the moment there has been no bios updates from biostar...has anyone been able to install linux on this motherboard? It's been about a week since I last tried to install Kubuntu on it, however I don't remember the error it showed on screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You're in uncharted waters right now... and it's going to be messy for at least 6 months.

You're going to need to keep a Windows install just to update the BIOS on your system.

You're going to need to run a Linux using the latest kernel for a while - as issues and support are ironed out for Ryzen. Something like Gentoo, Arch (which I'm not a fan of), or anything that can install with a current 4.11+ version of the kernel. It's probably going to be tricky unless you know what you are doing in Linux.

Hopefully the Ryzen system isn't your only computer. You're going to want to be able to reference stuff while tinkering with Linux on Ryzen. I personally haven't used Ryzen, so I can't be more specific.

Good luck trailblazer.

Thanks NetBandit, and no my main rig right now is an x99 asrock fatality professional motherboard running a 5820k, with 32 gb of corsair lpx ram, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to install windoze on this new rig...but i guess i'll have to. Anyway thanks for the quick reply

Get ubuntu 17.04 and hold on to your underwear.

(insert knd quote gif)

1 Like

Go for some Linux with Kernel 4.8 or higher support and prepare for the drop.

Edited

4.8 and higher sir. Stop recommending anything lower than that. Drivers are shit.

My bad. Sorry

2 Likes

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Ryzen-Newer-Kernel
It would appear from this you would be correct on needing 4.11 for audio
I am on Manjaro with 4.9.16, there is also 4.10.4 available, these should get you working mobo minus sound right now. 4.11-rc2 was listed to be added to testing repository couple of days ago.
will be another month or so before start to see 4.11 readily available