Nobara/Fedora/Pop OS and the 7700xt

Hey all, hope all are doing well. I have a question about the RX 7700xt. If I install either pop os or nobara will I have to add anything once I buy the 7700? This question goes back to my windows days swapping from polaris to navi 1, windows did it but never really liked it. Thanks to all awnsers and comments

What exactly do you mean by this?

When I bought my 7900XT, it was just a drop in replacement to my GTX970. I dont recall installing additional software/packages to my desktop. It ahould also be the same with your 7700

RX 7600 in Debian 12 just worked™ for me.

@regulareel well I had alot of performance regression on windows when i did this type of thing. Like for example, having part of the Nvidia stack try to start running when I went from a 1060 to the RX590. And when I went from the 590 to a 5700xt I got some really weird textures in games. Both of these took a complete reinstall of windows and at least one driver update to fix. Just didnt want to chase down software gremlins like I use too

To be fair, I had the same concerns as you. While I did not encounter any issues, I did reformat and reinstall Fedora out of habit from Windows. Technically you could just remove the nvidia related packages but some files, particularly config files would be left behind and that doesnt really sit well with me personally.

Can’t have bloat

When I switched from a 1060 to a 6600xt on my Pop OS desktop I actually didn’t know I was supposed to install Mesa (?) drivers to get it to work. Or at least was the claim of reddit at the time. That worked for a long time and then I saw no difference once I tried the mesa drivers.

To be honest I have only used nvidia twice, a 960 and the 1060. It was enough to get me to switch back to amd for my cards going forward. And yes the real 1060 was a good card, but what I grabbed was that odd 1060 3gig model with the cut down die. I fumbled around with the ultra low graphics until the rx590. My 5700xt is showing its age being the reference model to loud and turns my office from 70 degrees to 86 at 75% fan speed otherwise the card it will thermal shutdown. And no thats not a bug its a feature :smile:

Well update time. I went with the XFX 6800 because I had seen afew small issues with the 7000 series and helldivers 2 with dx12. Gonna wait for abit to see if cosmic shows up on pop 24.04 before I make a change, sense you know cosmic stuff n things. Also will be setting up a dual boot because of the very few games that i want to play dont do linux. Thank you all for the help and will be posting pictures of the setup shortly

You see the 6000 series of Radeon was good but it was not a good time to buy them with the pamdemic and bitcoin mining going on and on.

@regulareel agreed the timing for 6000 was garbage, but they are running cheap due to clearing out old inventory. Ive only tested with minecraft and overwatch 2. Compared to the reference 5700xt performance is way better and it takes longer before my office turns into a blast furnace.

1 Like

When I went from a GTX 1070 to a AMD RX 6750 XT all I had to do was remove the nvidia drivers, worked a charm after that.

1 Like