No Logo - unreasonable?

For reasons mostly unrelated to the thesis of Naomi Klein's book whose title I'm borrowing for this topic, I think omitting a logo from enthusiast parts would be advantageous to manufacturers of same. In this video, BitWit Kyle notes with gratitude that the glowing logo on his RGB memory is the only appearance of the manufacturer's logo on the part.

I note the same fact without gratitude, but instead with resentment of the fact that the logo appears on the part at all. Particularly due to that channel's attention to aesthetics, it occurred to me that while his point is valid relative to the size and ugliness of the stamps most manufacturers dump on their products and thereby on their customers, relative to Kyle's own efforts to make his PCs beautiful, the logo should vanish altogether.

In its place could be something thematically related to the brand's logo but more tasteful than an outright logo. In this case (pun inevitable) the heat spreader ALREADY suggests a wave and/or a sail, either/both of which invoke Corsair's logo without being so obvious, and therefore without detracting from the overall aesthetic of the system in which it appears.

I would like this to become standard practice for manufacturers of all "enthusiast" parts in all industries, which will only happen after it becomes a standard expectation of all enthusiasts, in at least one industry. I posit that you lot are the best candidates to make it so for your industry.

I further posit that this is feasible, albeit not exceedingly likely, for enthusiast parts in any industry because purchasers of same can recognize our favorite brands without the irritating logo; and even if most of us refuse to pay a premium for it, larger volumes of enthusiast purchasers are plausible for parts that put the logo only on the packaging but let the parts' design and performance (in no particular order) speak for themselves.

Logo or not, price/$ is all I care about. If a logo was missing from the hardware itself I don't think anyone would really give a damn. This isn't fashion after all even though some of us out there are quite fashionable with our PC builds.

I really don't think most consumers would care either way (provided the item is 100% genuine) since it's on the inside of the computer and mostly no one will see it - even if the computer had a window.

That said, if the resulting designs from your theory meant higher prices I hope it never happens. People pay dearly for Apple's design and I'd hate for that to spread (granted, Apple does not make components).

Here is the thing about brand logos...
Unless it is extremely simplistic (and they never are), ANY bran logo is unwelcome.
I mean look at the new Kraken from NZXT...

Remove the logo, leave the rings... Perfection. Will fit every build ever made ever... But no, we need to know it's NZXT...

Cooler Master... Remove the logo, leave the light... No, we need the logo...
Worst offenders in awful logos:

Are you kidding me?

If it was just the sails - OK, but the name...
And my personal favorite:

It does not fit anything ever... It's gray, black and green, does not fit anything.
You do not need a logo...
I mean look at the case from that video. It's fine. Imagine a huge logo on the front panel...
No... The cleaner - the better...
Full disclosure - i have not watched the video... But just looking at the thumbnail i already have some issues with the build, like the light for example...
NEVER EVER USE COLOR LIGHT IN CLEAN BUILDS. YOU ONLY DROWN ALL THE GOOD WORK IN A SINGLE COLOR. USE WHITE LIGHT, SO PEOPLE CAN EASILY SEE THE GREAT COLOR COORDINATION YOU HAVE DONE.
I need to make a video about that, don't i?

Logos are simply a form of marketing, people will see the parts and say "Hey, that is an NZXT cooler" or w/e and instantly know which company made it. Removing the logos will remove that potential for free marketing.

I on the other hand tend not to care much but I do have the huge NH-D15 in my system which isn't winning any prizes for aesthetics.

If a e s t h e t i c s are important to you, then you are going to pay to get the look you want. My game rig is all color coordinated, led lighting, sleeved, etc... and I ended up spending a few bucks more to make that happen.

But that is the first and last time that I go for a pretty system.

My workstation has a green motherboard, black case, black/red video card, and those hideous Noctua fans/coolers. It's ugly AF and it kicks ass.

2 Likes

Making a system color coordinated now days is not that difficult. May be not to the cable sleeving and LED extend, but picking up green gpu with the green motherboard is not really taking that much more, if you are going to buy new system anyways. It can still kick ass and look at least decent and not like Doink the clown...