No irq handler for vector

Hi,

I changed my B450 board to an Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master with BIOS F21 and since then I get “No irq handler for vector” on boot on Arch/Manjaro.
Reading the arch forum it seems that this is a BIOS issue. Is there a BIOS which does not have this behavior?

thx,

Eliot

That is an open ended question. For you motherboard? I don’t know, you may have to try and flash a few to find out. Otherwise, you can read the bug tracker and see what others have come up with.

If it is not causing you any issues, you may be able to ignore it for now.

What are your kernel boot options?

1 Like

just:
quiet iommu=soft apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3

Any particular reason for using that option. That is mostly used for virtual systems/applications that cannot read higher than 4GiB. Not saying that it is your issue, but if you don’t actually need it, remove it and see what happens.

Either way, I did a little digging and found this post, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256227.
Basically, it is harmless for now and can be ignored, but if you want to try some of the workarounds, go ahead. This seems to be a bios issue though from not initializing the CPU cores in order or something like that.

1 Like

yep, the kernel would not boot on the msi board otherwise …

Wow, that is doggy at best. I am sorry. I am out of any other ideas.

1 Like

I am getting the same messages too. They appeared when I made a BIOS update to version F21. I tried to figure out where they are coming from but was unable to find a satisfying answer. Since there are no reports of issues with the messages I am ignoring them for now.

Has anyone made any progress on this? I have the same error running fedora 33. I would ignore it, but I’m passing through a gpu using vfio and the guest gpu gets hung up on this warning and doesn’t work. Works fine if I keep it unplugged until booted up though.

I have same issue on my PC (Manjaro on x570 extreme4 bios version 2.8 & 3.0), and it gets stuck on this message (altough this may not be related)

Additionally, when I try live-booting with both newest manjaro and ubuntu iso’s it cannot detect any suitable kernel (again, not sure if this is related, I’m considering starting a thread about my issue)

It may be best to start you own thread in case your issue is divergent.

1 Like

Not regarding my issues now, I’ll link two threads from manjaro’s forum which seem to help either not show massages or solve the issue (I’m not sure, can’t test it now)

thread one
thread two

and here is something from Linus Torvald’s github about the issue being possibly solved in future kernel release

hope this helps

Edit: I have rewritten a few things after thinking about them