No Display From New KVM

I don’t generally post on forums, so I apologize if I’ve gotten something wrong (and for the long post…), but I could use some help.

I received my new KVM yesterday, but no matter what I do I can’t seem to get any sort of display out from it. I don’t know if the problem is with the cables, if I am doing something wrong, or if the KVM itself is malfunctioning, and I haven’t been able to find anything online that really addresses my issue.

I am trying to use a PAAG-E3132B KVM switch to connect three monitors, my personal PC, and my work laptop/dock, with keyboard, mouse, webcam and speakers.

I first tried connecting all monitors to the KVM console ports, my desktop to the PC 1 ports, and my laptop to the PC 2 ports, but got no display whatsoever. I then tried plugging in just one monitor at a time to both the Desktop and the Laptop, then just one monitor to my Desktop (switching between different cables and monitors), all with the same result.

I currently have my primary monitor connected to my Desktop directly, a second monitor connected via the KVM, and my keyboard and mouse hooked up to the KVM. The mouse and keyboard both work normally, as does the monitor connected directly to the Desktop, and the KVM lights up green/red indicating that the USB connection is good and PC1 is selected.
The second monitor connected to the Desktop via the KVM shows no display, and Windows doesn’t show additional monitors connected via display settings. I haven’t bothered to try connecting my speakers or webcam yet since the monitors aren’t working.

I purchased a couple of Club3D DP 1.4 2m cables (as recommended on the wiki/how to post) to test in case the issue lies with the cabling, but those won’t arrive for several days.

This is the first time I have ever dealt with a KVM and I have no idea what I may be doing wrong. Any advice at all would be enormously appreciated.
The specifics of my setup are listed below:

Monitors:

Dell 24in 1080p (x2)

LG 48in 4k UltraGear

Desktop PC:

Intel-based build running windows 11 with an RTX 3080

Work Laptop:

HP Elitebook 840 G6 with HP USB-C dock for DP output, running Windows 10

Peripherals:

Razer Blackwidow V3 Pro Wireless Keyboard

Razer Naga Pro Wireless Mouse

Klipsch R-41PM Speakers

Logitech C920 Pro Webcam

Cables:

Monoprice DP 2.0, 2m & 3ft, connecting LG monitor to KVM & KVM to PC

QVS DP 1.2, 10ft, connecting Dell monitors to KVM & KVM to PC/Laptop dock

I dont have the same KVM, but my experience with the monoprice cables is that they are slightly above trash tier.

Try this procedure (as it should capture the EDID)

1. Connect a mouse and keyboard to the console ports
  2. Connect your 4k displayport monitor (no adapters) to the KVM
  3. Turn on the monitor
  4. Connect your computer to the KVM, USB and Display Port only
  5. Connect power to the KVM
  6. Turn on your computers
1 Like

That worked! Thank you!

Though my screen is now flashing black every few minutes, I assume that is due to the low quality cables…

Should I follow the same process for the rest of my monitors and work laptop?

Yeah that is 99% the cables.

Yeah you can go through that last again, but this time connect all the monitors.

I wanted to start with the minimum to verify it could work.

Get some club3d or fibbr brand fiber optic cables. Don’t think the monoproce cables are going to work…

1 Like

Out of curiosity: Is there a noticeable difference in a video chain’s power consumption when using active optical cables compared to passive copper ones? How much do two optical transceivers that handle 48 Gbit each consume when looking at a FIBBR HDMI 2.1 cable for example?

Do longer copper HDMI cables require more power?

If those cables draw power from pin20 and not an external source, then they’re limited to 3.3v/500ma. Likely significantly less than that, probably on the order of <1W

1 Like

After everything one has seen with HDMI cables - Can it be trusted that the active cables don’t draw more power than in spec, potentially leading to strange issues…?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.