No boot messages when specifying vfio-pci.ids

I’m seeing odd behavior during boot when specifying vfio-pci.ids.

When I specify vfio-pci.ids in my boot loader config, I no longer see boot messages after:

Starting Systemd version....

Additionally, I am unable to interact with TTY sessions (CTRL+ALT +F1 or similar) as there is no output on the screen other than the starting systems line referenced above.

If I remove this boot option, everything works as expected, but I am unable to unbind the device from the nvidia driver to use in vfio

I’ve tried adding the following in xorg.conf, but I am still unable to unbind the second gpu from nvidia post boot.

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddGPU" "off"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

If I include vfio-pci.ids at boot, I can successfully transition the 2nd GPU to / from vfio using:

echo  -n "0000:4b:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind
echo  -n "0000:4b:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia/bind

(or the reverse)

Any thoughts on one of:

• fixing console / tty output and interaction with the vfio-pci.ids boot parameter
  • setting X11 / wayland up to not bind the 2nd gpu so that I can unbind it from the nvidia driver

more about my setup:

Thanks,
Brian

I have not solved the ability to interact with the console when using vfio-pci.ids kernel options. (I can use a terminal emulator within X11/wayland)

This issue was created when I solved the looking glass issue in the referenced post.