No access to SMB share with terminal

As rhe title says, I have an SMB share and all of a sudden I do not seem to have permissions (*) to write to the smb share through the terminal.

However, it does work without any issues through the file explorer and I have no issues with the very same user on different devices. I already tried rebooting the problematic device, but this did not solve the issue.

The only thing I did since I last successfullywrote to the share was installing the latest OS updates.

Oh, and before i forget, the OS I’m using is Manjaro with the latest updates installed.

*) Both, rsync and cp lead to a permission denied

Follow the trail, look at what updates have been installed and if any might be related to the problem.

1 Like

Given that it was sort of a system update with quite a lot of packages being installed, I was curious if there is another to narrow down the cause or find the culprit.

If this is any help, this is the rsync output:

rsync file1 file2
rsync: [Receiver] ERROR: cannot stat destination "/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=<IP>,share=<share>/folder/file": Permission denied (13)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(761) [Receiver=v3.2.6]

Edit 1: Just to make sure that the terminal (with cp and rsync) does something profoundly different than the file explorer I mounted the share on my MacBook and tried cp as well as rsync and it also works as expected…

Edit 2: The plot thickens , one copy task failed in the file explorer as well with permission denied and I noticed while file copying/deleting works in the explorer I cannot create any new folders. (This does work with the very same user on MacOS tough!)

I managed to (more or less) solve this issue by mounting the drive via the command line like so:

sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,vers=3.0,credentials=<PATH_TO_CREDENTIALS>,gid=<GID>,uid=<UID> //<IP>/<share> <location>

In the future, I will add a mountpoint to fstab and I assume the window manager or the file explorer is doing something weird here. I don’t mind though, I prefer the CLI anyway^^