Nintendo Vs The Smash Bros Community

Then they have no case to stand on due to shitty copy right laws

1 Like

They being the organizers? There is NOTHING illegal about modifying an ISO of a game you own.

Nintendo is fully wrong re: the “illegal” games thing. It’s just a nonsense PR stunt to try to shift blame because most of the population is entirely uneducated on this regard.

However, what they are doing is saying you can’t stream our stuff. Which is a relatively untested legal area.

Once the stream issue does get tested, one would hope that the game is treated the same as any other piece of sporting equipment. Wilson cannot prevent broadcasts of public performance of matches that contain their volleyball even though it contains intellectual property that prevents others from making exact copies of their volleyball.

1 Like

I hate that people are so misinformed on copyright law. Watch Lawfull masses on this, the guy is an actual lawyer not some random guy on the internet. He specialized in copyright law and has done a review on this topic. Just because you wish the law was different doesnt change how it works.

1 Like

I agree.

That video is hot garbage. It’s filled with innacuracies. He might be a lawyer, but he’s still made very obvious errors.

1.) For the love of all that is holy, he’s talking about “roms” – if that didn’t clue you in that he has no idea what he’s talking about …

2.) “The moment that you look for the rom online” – Who said anything about looking for an (iso) online? You can legally obtain this by using the Gamecube net adapater to rip a copy of your disc image using the gamecube disc drive. If you’re a smash tourney player you a.) own a gamecube with net adapter and b.) own a copy of Smash.

The streaming rights are what Nintendo ACTUALLY used to shut this down.

The modified ISOs aren’t in breech of any copyright law until someone (as an individual) violated copyright law by obtaining it through illegal means.

2 Likes

There is no legal means to obtain the ISO since it means bypassing DRM, which is in itself illegal.

2 Likes

Unlike trying to rip a DVD video, etc., you don’t HAVE to circumvent any DRM to rip a Gamecube ISO.

1 Like

Thats not strictly true. The drive looks for valid code in the BCA of the disc. This is their DRM equivalent that you must bypass.

1 Like

The BCA is used to prevent discs without BCA from playing on a Gamecube.

That isn’t DRM that requires circumvention in order to create an ISO…

1 Like

It doesnt matter in the end what justification you come up with for bypassing DRM. You’ve done the deed either way.

2 Likes

The BCA DRM prevents homebrew discs (unless you’re datel) from running on a console but I’m unsure what that would have to do with taking data off of a disc.

“justification for bypassing DRM” <— but what is the DRM that is being bypassed by creating a copy of the ISO… because the BCA has everything to do with the physical disc being read on the console and nothing to do with taking the data from the disc and turning it into an ISO.

And I’ve not done any deed as I’m not actually a Melee player because… meh. (I just think 2020 Nintendo is disgusting).

1 Like

Sure taking the data off the disc hasnt circumvented anything but you cant then turn around and read that data again without bypassing the method with which they intended to protect that data from being read. Thus you have defeated their DRM protection.

They dont think it be like it is but it do.

1 Like

I still don’t follow your argument.

You’re saying because the physical gamecube unit won’t play games if the spacing on the laser cuts in the BCA isn’t the correct spacing, that means you can’t access the data from a legally obtained ISO dump (taking the data off the disc is fine - we already agree on this)… because accessing the data from the ISO dump through a separate machine, etc. defeats the DRM protection of the gamecube that you’re not using to access the data? I don’t think that the court has ever heard that argument before to shut it down…

1 Like

The point of DRM is to prevent you from making copies of things. The ease with which you can do so doesnt determine if its legal or not. Just because they didnt think of the method with which you intend to play your ripped game doesnt mean its somehow now legal to do so.

Intent always matters when it comes to this kind of thing though. I dont like that it is the way it is. I think DRM in all forms is stupidity and only hurts the consumer.

The problem with what you’re suggesting is sure you can pull the data off the disc, but then what do you do with that data? If you play the game with it, even in an emulator which has been sufficiently reverse engineered as to not contain any original gamecube code, you’ve still taken the long ass roundabout way to bypass reading and playing the game without the disc protection.

1 Like

I stopped playing and buying Nintendo products when the Wii came out, because I saw they were more interested in gimmicks than doing incredible things with their IP.

This kind of behavior cemented my refusal to purchase Nintendo products, and they just keep doing it.

4 Likes

have not bought a Nintendo product since the first game boy.(grey brick)
i give them credit for there handheld tech but the way they treat the consumer has turned me off since i was a kid. its nothing new it will not change and as long as they keep making a profit they don’t care.

1 Like

I was a loyal fan through the SNES, the N64, and Gamecube.

Then the Wii was announced and I lost all interest in them. I hate motion controls.

1 Like

Just when I thought Nintendo was opening up with their App Store on the switch (which it seems has a … very liberal policy with regards to what they will accept)… they pull something like this :rofl:

Same old same old :smiley:

1 Like

I am just going to leave this here.

Basically, it is not illegal in the USA to rip media that you own for private or personal use. Key words are “Not Illegal” “Media that you own” and “Personal/Private use”.

It is considered copyright infringement to do so without expressed permission of the IP/Copyright holder. The IP holder then has the right to pursue you in the court of law.

Due to the DMCA, it is illegal to break any encryption or DRM in order to distribute said media but there is nothing the prohibits making a bit for bit perfect copy as a backup for personal use when you own the original. Remember the days of DeCSS and libdvdCSS? where it was illegal to watch DVDs that you owned on GNU/Linux because you were breaking DRM to do so?

One was illegal because it used a compromised key to decrypt and then play the DVDs. The other was a clean room reverse engineering of CSS and turned into a library that could be invoked by other applications to performed a bruteforce hack of all possible keys to decrypt the DVD. IE, you can make an iso of the disk with the DRM intact and decrypt parts of the bitstream on demand.

Maybe the event holders can get around the issue is they patch the code in flight instead of making a change to the actual disk image. It worked in libdvdcss’s case as there has not been any legal challenge in the USA that has held water.

Also, don’t give money to bad actors and don’t pirate their stuff. If no one is interested in their wares, they will either change or go out of business. It is really like the drug trade.

6 Likes