Nintendo Needs a Tablet

With devices such as the Nvidia Shield TV, the Nexus 9, and Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 being able to play most games from the GameCube and PS2 back, I'm surprised why Nintendo hasn't taken these open source projects and made a tablet with a seamless gaming experience. There's tons of money to be made here. Imagine playing the Simpsons Hit and Run, Resident Evil 4, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Sonic, Luigis Mansion, and all of these other classics at full frames on a tablet (for the most part, you can on the Shield, however if you want the best performance go for the Pixel C... granted the lack of a microsd card scares me for shit like this).

Nvidia has brought ARM to the point where performance exceeds Nintendos consoles so all that would need to be done is optimization here and there. Allow the user to use the tablet as if it were a Wii U display, ship it with a few classics, demonstrate its potential, and you have a customer...

I see people paying $400 or so for so,etching like this and I think if you branded it as a console it'd take off. I think it's time for Nintendo as a company to open its doors to something like this. Imagine the bliss.

Can you for the most part do this on say the $200 Shield? Yes. But understand Nintendo is a bigger brand name than Nvidia. It really comes to that alone. More people would be willing to buy such a device, and it allows Nintendo to use old assets and profit off of them.

It's just a thought. What do you guys think?

or like team up with open source emu makers and have an all in one option to play any nintendo games you want.
Because eventhough i have a nes and snes and n64, i rarely dig those up anymore cept for special occasions or parties...so i use emulators on pc eventhough i have the consoles and games. That's laziness from my part, not being cheapo, but the pc platform is just much more functional/efficient.

But i can imagine there is a market for more portable options to play the games, could be a good investment with downloadable games for portable consoles from nintendo's side yeah.

1 Like

Or better yet they could offer games that are optimized for the Shield considering it's already able to play most of them decently. And then, if there is a market, release a device.

1 Like

I don't follow console news much tbh, consoles are something from my youth, shield seems cool for playing games during daily commutes/breaks though, but if they go with nvidia's shield and optimize for that....they'd be losing customers for their own device...so would there still be a market ? i guess so, but significantly smaller than if they would be their antisocial selves and steer away from shield/nvidia....

Nintendo, contact amd.... amd is the devil, i love amd. :)

and for the hipsters' sake, nintendo could bring out a high res display gameboy with wifi, it would sell. ''ohwait'' been there, done that.

which also makes me feel like; if you want to play games like fallout 4 or saints row and old commodore, amiga games, arcade games, console games, whatever you want....on the same platform....but portable..... i would go for it. One day. I guess it's possible, it's called a laptop. But i mean more in the sense of handheld consoles, like shield

1 Like