Nintendo Joy Con

Someone told me the left and right joy con are used as two separate controller for two different players. Is this the case? I though the were like a normal controller with left and right side and the are used as a single controller? I am buying my nephew a switch and want to know if I will need a second controller.

would it depend on the game?

some games might allow 2 players, each with a controller, and some single players might use both for one player?

I thought the machine came with both left and right tho…

Did I see @cityle have some info?

1 Like

Joycons can be used as one controller together, or they can act as a separate controllers too, often in games like Mario Party. When each side is used as is own controller, you only have one joystick and one set of four buttons, alongside the shoulder buttons in the rail. So using each of them as standalone controllers might not work with all games.

switchcontrollers11-650

But I don’t understand your question though with the NVidia Shield. Or are you speaking of Pokemon Shield?

3 Likes

hahahaha lol I was typing my answer :joy:

2 Likes

I’m guessing you kw a thing or two about JoyCons, seeing as you done (yet another) bang up customizing job on a pair the other day…

2 Likes

you can use them as individual controllers but it’s pretty crap unless you have very small hands. probably aimed at kids.

1 Like

Okay. You guys answered what i need. I am going to buy myself an xbox style controller for it for myself. My nephew can use the joycons.

2 Likes

Methinkks the Ancient Evil God was meaning to say “switch”

1 Like

Be aware that if you intend to play any 8 player games, like smash, that a pair of joycons counts as two controllers, even if both are used for one player, bringing your max player count down.

If you have already an xbox controller on hand, you can also just buy an adapter like this to use with the Switch. Would be less costly and more versatile, jsut no gyro, but rare you need gyro anyway in a game, ymmv.

Yes a switch not a shield. Brain fart for a moment.

1 Like

Modern old gods can only dream of what Nintendo holds… I guess.

The latest model (OLED models) Switch will accept anything Bluetooth 5.x.+ but we’re also talking about Nintendo. APPROACH ANYTHING WITH NINTENDO AS AN UNWELCOME COLONOSCOPY.

1 Like