Nikon D600 and Sigma 150-200MM F5-F6.3 Autofocus issue

I’m having rather a new to me issue. While using my Nikon D600 paired with the new to me Sigma 150-500 F5-F6.3 lens, the autofocus decides to spaz out. When I press half way on the shutter button…the lens doesn’t auto focus at all. No movement in the focus motor at all. However, when I have the lens paired up with my Nikon D3300, it works perfectly. Wondering if anyone has had this kind of issue before?

Also my Nikon D600 have firmware version 1.04 which is the latest version at this time.

I have also attached a video to help explain things a bit.

After a brief search the first result that pops up is a thread on dpreview that talks about bad compatibility between Nikon bodies and Sigma lenses. In particular many were having autofocus not working with this lense (or similar) with firmwares >1.02. Apparently a downgrade of the firmware fixed all the issues for them. But, between 2017 and today, there has been a firmware upgrade for the lense that might make the combo work. So look out for that and see if there are any. If not, I think you’re better off selling the lens again and buy a new one.

1 Like

I am running Firmare V 1.04. So I might try a downgrade to a version earlier then 1.02 then if I can find it

Firmware downgrade worked!

2 Likes

Nice! I didn’t want to suggest a firmware downgrade because, usually, they’re risky, made difficult to apply or will straight up brick the device you’re trying to perform them on. Glad it worked for this model of camera. Enjoy your new (to you) lens!

1 Like

Nikon makes it pretty easy to upgrade or downgrade the firmware. All I have to do is plop it on the root directory on the sd card, go to menu, firmware, then update firmware. It’s extremely easy.

That’s a very consumer friendly approach to firmware! If you get some cool shots post them on Photography from the community

Only combination I’m aware of, was of D8xx and that 150-500
The OIS is supposed to really good, although limited to an axis bias [vert. or hor. setting]
along with being a bit better, on the ergonomics front [lens FL lock = no lens creep]
Never used Sigma lenses, but seen heard some sterling feedback, on those Art series

I do have a couple I can toss up actually. My first time getting some lightning. I’ll get around to posting when I get home from work.

Definitely a consumer friendly way of doing it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.