Nice books are boring

I love to read, its in my DNA.... or, I think so. But I must preface by saying that "nice", is not fun. I like my books to slap me... make me think, or laugh outloud at funerals, or spew tomato juice on Mac users sitting out from of starfucks ignoring everyone else as they type nothinguseful and nothingimportant. When I was 12 I found JG Ballard's "Crash" in the school library... and its been uphill ever since.
So, I find myself w some time to kill and where and what could be more enjoyable and worthwhile a use of my limited seconds and minutes allotted me in the Verse than to hype a writer and her book.
The writing is unique, and above the norm for the genre and the story is just fucking fantastic.
SO.
"Sadie the Sadist" by Zane Sachs

Oh, if sex, violence, cannibalism, murder, and walmart horrify you... well, go read Nancy Drew.

Crash is one hell of book to read at twelve! I agree though, it's brilliant. I've not read "Sadie the Sadist", but then I hide behind the sofa when the Daleks are on Dr Who, so I guess it's not for me.

Sci fi apocalypse stuff, is more my thing.

Please post your other recommendations, a good read is not to be underestimated.

Okay then.
I"m at a company terminal waiting for tomorrow when I will hook up to a trailer and drag it around a while... but, that means I have my Kindle right here... point point see? Yep... so, here's my list:

Mary Roach: "Stiff" and "Packing for Mars" or anything by her, she's a wonderful author

In same vein: John McPhee. For me his "Coming Into Country" was one of the best books I read in 1977.
Okay, onward.

Samuel R. Delany: "Dahlgren". This is up there with Neuromancer as one of the seminal pieces of science fiction. He's a genius basically IMHO.

William Gibson: "Neuromancer" IF you don't know this book, you are, and I'd even dare to say BECAUSE YOU"RE IN THIS FORUM !... required to read this book. Nuff sed.

Joel Shepherd: "Crossover" starts the Kresnov series which is probably one of the best pieces of literature to ever question cybernetics w/in a framework of science fiction action..... the series is perfect in everyway, If you aren't crying at page 90 in Crossover, well, I'll pay you back for the book but I also want to check your pulse.

Richard Kadrey: the Sandman Slim series.

Greg van Eekhout: Norsecode Holey shit I love that book.

William Burroughs: ANY. Lemme preface, I can't stand Kerouac's On the Road... cos I did most of that when I was 16... but, ole Bill, well.... he opens your mind and asks you things and shows you things... no one else was even trying to look at ... I love his voice.

K W Jeter: Farewell Horizontal

Steven Brust: The Vlad Taltos series is one of the best. He is a very talented writer with wonderful ideas.

Patrick Rothfuss: Name of the Wind trilogy. Probably the best fantasy writer this century. He makes that lame-o thame of groans author look like a hack

Lawrence Block: Mystery. His Scudder series, I am happy to say is one I grew up with over a few decades. Extremely talented writer from NYC and the characters to prove it.

Lilith Saintcrow: I love her two urban fantasy series.

Ryunosuke Akutagawa: "Rashomon and other stories:

Lydia Lunch: "Will Work For Drugs"

Ryu Murakami: "Popular Hits of the Showa Era"

Neal Stephenson: "Snow Crash"

Pat Califia: "Macho Sluts" Lesbian S&M pr0n, but... written by a fucking amazing writer.

That's all I can think of this series of minutes.... I know I"ll think of more the moment I post this... so it goes... oh...

Kurt Vonnegut !!!
Dashiel Hammet.
Jim Thompson

1 Like

The Circle by Dave Eggers really hit me hard, I literally could not fall asleep after reading in it because of... Spoiler avoider

1 Like