Nexus 6P is dead, suggest me a new phone

Preface
My nexus 6P is at a point where it needs an battery bank or be connected to the outlet to use it. Support says $163 for shipping and repair so I figure I would rather get a new phone
Preferably within a budget of $100-250
with features like

• removable battery (after the pain of a sealed phone I wish to be free)
  • camera better than an iphone 5s
  • micro sd

optional

• fingerprint scanner
  • screen bigger than 5 inches
  • Can be rooted
  • front facing speakers
  • USB C

I was thinking of getting this

but I am open to any other suggestions

Ended up getting the Huawei Mate SE

If you’re willing to give it a shot, you could attempt to replace the battery yourself. For the price of a $20 battery and maybe a screwdriver, you could potentially get a couple more years out of your phone.

Here’s an ifixit guide to replacing the battery:

1 Like

You could replace the battery yourself. Youtube have a lot of how-to videos on just about every flagship phones unless the phone cannot be disassembled to begin with. I do it often for friends and family.

1 Like

@TheCaveman and @BryanGoosling
I could, but I think I will pass. Don’t really have the time, patience, or coordination to tear my phone apart to switch out the battery.
Thanks for the guides tho

1 Like

Pixel 2 for the rootableness.

1 Like

I’m honestly a big fan of the Sony phones. I still have a Xperia Z5C I’ve used for over a year, and the Z3C and Z before. All of them have had Cyanogen or now Lineage on them. (Carbon Rom in the Z5C was really nice and I wish I could have kept it, but it was a bit buggy at the time). I’ve only had one Sony that had a locked boot loader (Z1C I bought at an Irish pawn shop) but I could still root it. OEM unlock is pretty easy. You go to a website, click an I agree and they give you an OEM unlock code for your IMEI.

The newer ones aren’t as waterproof as the older ones, but they support microSD cards. I have a 200GB in mine right now with my entire music collection (I really prefer to have my music and not rent it; a.k.a using a stream service).

It doesn’t have a removable battery, however I’ve had to replace the back twice (both my fault, dropped it or in some other way broke it) and it’s pretty easy to get off. Hair dryer and a PopSocket will pull it right off (unless it’s broken, in which case you can carefully peal it off with your fingers. Don’t cut yourself). I’ve been meaning to do a blog post on them with photos.

2 Likes

The Pixel 2 is awesome, aside from the burn-in some phones apparently experience. Think it’s well outside of his price range of $100-$250 though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh I didn’t see that limitation.

Then I will definitely recommend an LG V20. The root is almost complete, and TWRP just became flashable. Wurf.

1 Like