Nextclould plugin on Truenas giving me 2-10KB/s upload

Im very new to all of this. And i cant seem to find anything to help online, and i couldn’t find any relevant topic here, so i thought i would ask if anyone knows what my problem is?
If i upload a file to my nextcloud service both locally and through a domain with nginx i get 2-10KB/s upload speeds, I thus know my problem is with nextcloud or truenas itself.

I dont know what to do, to debug this, so i would really appreciate if someone knows what i can do.

Do you have any metrics for the host? Is the CPU pinned? Out of memory? Anything funky with the network?

2 Likes

Additionally, what browser and OS are you using on your client?

While uploading a 10MB folder, the HDD is sitting at around 1MiB write.
The CPU is at around 3% usage spiking at 6% with 3GiB ram free.
Lan is gigabit, basically straight connection.

Could it be because the files i’m trying to upload are a lot of small files? (in addition, if i were to upload a zip and use “extract” within nextcloud, the entire folder seems to crash :stuck_out_tongue: )

Client is running newest Firefox on newest Pop_os 20.10

So tiny files make a big difference. Each file is its own HTTP request, which requires an NGINX worker, which requires a PHP-FPM thread to pass the request off to. Add the overhead of each of these steps together and you end up with things going slow just because everything is waiting on everything else.

I cant speak for unzipping within nextcloud, could be the process times out while extracting and the system does not know how to handle itself. Debugging that would require further digging.

2 Likes

I read something about increasing the php-fpm threadcount but it was guided towards a regular install and not as a plugin in truenas. Is there a way to do something similar in truenas? the CPU is hardly doing anything. This is happening just going straight to Nextcloud, no proxy manager or anything.

What version of nextcloud are you running?

They just implemented some changes to the backend that claim up to 10x performance in version 21.

How big are these files? <20kb?

Seems to be running 21.0.0 release 12.1-RELEASE-p13.
Each file in the folder seems to be about 2kB each

10kb/s up. 5 files per second.

That’s perfectly normal.

Browsers are incredibly inefficient at accessing the local filesystem due to security policy.

The nextcloud sync desktop application might be more efficient, but it also might make no difference. Based on the fact that your CPU usage is low, I’d recommend trying the desktop sync program.

2 Likes

Thank you. Ill try that. Hopefully i can just get the extract funtion to work in nextcloud :smiley:

How many files total?

If you have a huge archive, it might not work because it’s exceeding the configured timeout.