Nextcloud smb with ldap integration

I have set up a nextcloud server and configured ldap integration. The ldap integration appears to be working properly as I can log in with domain users and manage ad groups. I want to add an external smb share that that is set up for domain users. When I set up the external storage it seems like it should work but I am running into problems.
First when I try the “Login Credentials, save in db,” I get an orange information icon that says “No logon credentials saved,” which I think is expected but even if I enter an ad user that has access to the share I can get a green check but it still won’t open. I have tried server different authentication types but I still get this error message when I try to access the share no matter what.

There was an error with message: Empty response from the server. Please contact your system administrator.

I think there is a good chance it is related to authentication but I’m not entirely sure what the problem is. One other possibility is the path. On the truenas side the share is on a dataset called Share so i thought maybe I needed that in the remote subfolder field but if I add that I can’t get even the green check and I only need to use \server\poolname to access it.

External Storage settings:
Folder Name: NAS
Server: truenas server ip
Share: poolname
Domain: DOMAINNAME

Any help would be greatly appreciated!