Newly built Proxmox host rebooting

Hello all. I’ve gotten into the process of doing my own build for a a Proxmox host that I’ve been having some issues with. This is a new installation that went isn’t my first custom build, but I am having some issues where the host reboot shortly after identifying the volume groups (always occurs in this spot). after reseating ram and removing my 10g network card just to eliminate some variables, I decided to run memtest from the Proxmox Grub boot screen. These are the results which I believe strongly indicate I should start an RMA for my ram, but I wanted to get some input to see if the issue could be elsewhere and these results are just a symptom.

Did you try reseating the cpu?
Are you running 2 or 4 sticks?

3 Likes

4 sticks with this kit here CMK128GX5M4B5600C40

I have not tried to reseat the cpu.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’ve run out of thermal compound for now. On your advice I am going to attempt a reseat once it arrives and will update with the result. For records sake, I also attempted to swap the dimm slot of all 4 modules and reduce the number of modules to 2 and then 1; this produced the same result. The problem also persists with both XMP disabled and enabled.

1 Like

Use one stick at a time and see if it happens in a certain slot, or with a specific stick.

1 Like

4 bad sticks does sound unusual.

And also 4 bad sockets.

It might be the memory controller, which means CPU, so reseat is a good idea.

Might try some of the ram in another computer (friend/family?) While waiting for the greese

https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/products/platforms/details/raptor-lake-s/13th-generation-core-processors-datasheet-volume-1-of-2/002/006/processor-sku-support-matrix/

4800 is overclocking by a lot, drop it down to 3600 and go from there. 4000 is probably about as good as it gets.

I thought the kit could do 5600mt/s?

And 14900k should be okay with that?

Sorry if I replied to wrong thread

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/236773/intel-core-i9-processor-14900k-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz.html

2DPC → 2 DIMMs 2R - 3600

Good idea to try dropping frequency in case it help, as a simple test with no extra kit required.

The arc page, lists the memory speed as within range

The document you listed, says it is out if date.

The newer, updated one, does not seem to list transfer rates?