Newish Linux user noticing kernel and bluetooth errors on boot and shutdown, want to try and fix them

Some errors have been popping up during boot as well as when shutting down or restarting the computer. As far as I can tell stuff still works but if there’s any advice on how to address these errors that would be greatly appreciated.

Above is the JournalCTL for the last little bit of using the computer and below is the linux-hardware probe. I am running Debian 12, kernel 6.1.0-11-amd64 and use a 6700xt and 7950x as my machine.

Are you on the latest BIOS/UEFI?
Upgraded to latest kernel version?

BIOS/UEFI is not at the latest version will go and fix that, as for the kernel version it is

6.1.0-11-amd64 which is what debian currently has as the kernel should I try to upgrade manually to a newer version of 6.1?

I have since updated the BIOS should I try to force a different kernel version?

Not sure what the latest kernel is that Debian supports, but 6.1 is relatively old considering how new 6700xt and 7950x are. I’d try one of these bleeding edge live distros before going custom kernel.

E.g. If you run a Fedora live image and upgrade that (sudo dnf update -y) you’d get a 6.4 kernel and maybe different content in the boot log. Depending on that outcome you can tackle the next step on your Debian system.

oh you can get a boot log from a live image?

I’ll check if my ventoy has fedora at the moment or only nobara.

yes, of course. Any linux distro running has a boot log. You can check them from the terminal with

journalctl -b

or

dmesg | less

I suggested Fedora because I am familiar with it and know the latest kernel version when updated.
Nobara should/could work, too.

Debian is known to be a little conservative.

It ended up warning that it needed more space to update the live image. Should I maybe try after removing the other isos from the usb?

Reading through the dmesg without extra updated the could not resolve symbol error did occur

Nope. That won’t help. The live images are read-only and with some trickery allow modifying the root file system within limits (changes are kept in memory).
Removing iso files from the USB doesn’t help in this case.

Update: I just realize that the approach of updating to the latest kernel in a live image cannot work.
Even if you manage to update the kernel in the live image it will not persist and therefore you won’t be able to observe the bootlog of the updated kernel. :frowning:

You can obviously take a look at the bootlog of the kernel that was shipped with the live image.

Oh, Debian is a bit conservative and we like it that way.

That said, you do realise that there are both backports and Debian Unstable, yes?

Backports are if you want to run stable but require specific newer versions of certain software or kernel versions.

https://backports.debian.org/

Unstable is if you like the latest and greatest and do not care if you bork your system every other week. You know, like Arch.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable

Unstable is great for many hobbyists but there are no guarantees your system will work. Do not run unstable on systems you need to be up and running with minimal downtime, unless you are certain you can handle the occasional hiccup and subsequent googling on Stack Overflow. Other than that Unstable is awesome.

Would you recommend maybe switching to another distro than? I don’t mind debian with KDE but if my hardware is a bit new for Debian 12 I’m down to switch to something like Nobara, maybe try Nix or something similar. I don’t know if I want to full on go to Arch since I prefer using my computer than troubleshooting it. I had been planning to do stuff with Pop!_OS but really want to wait for Cosmic now since it’s over a year old in its current release.

6.1 was released at the end of 2022. In your case I do not think it is a problem and the kernel should be good enough but just in case, here is how to enable a new kernel from backports (assuming you run Debian 12 bookworm);

echo deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports main contrib non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bookworm-backports.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -t bookworm-backports linux-image-amd64
sudo apt install -t bookworm-backports firmware-linux

If this does not solve your problem, start a new thread with full dmesg output and we will start from there. Do link the thread from here. Sorry confused this thread with generic Linux problems thread carry on!

when running

sudo apt install -t bookworm-backports firmware-linux

I got these warnings should I be worried or try to fix them or is that normal? Since that’s a lot of possible missing firmware for the gpu, though it’s a third party Radeon 6700XT so navi should be 2.2 I would have thought.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-11-amd64
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_11_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_11_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_10_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_10_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_imu.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sdma_6_0_3.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_2_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/smu_13_0_10.bin for module amdgpu

Aha, so it seems like you need to replace non-free with non-free-firmware in the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bookworm-backports.list. Run apt-get update and voila.

More info here:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firmware_missing_from_Debian

For the edit don’t worry I have used the generic linux problems but felt that the mix of this being a during boot and shutdown issue alongside not currently stopping the computer from working meant it would be best served as it’s own post. If there are tips on when to post in the small linux problem thread vs making your own that would be greatly appreciated.

There appears to be fewer warnings/errors than before but I very briefly saw some.

Should I copy paste the entire dmesg? Or is there a way to have it only include relevant stuff.

If you think you can narrow the warnings down to just relevant info then that is better, best is if you can copy paste the relevant parts and include full dmesg in a .txt file. Most of the time warnings are sufficient but sometimes full dmesg is required.

is there a good way to copy the entire dmesg to a file since dmesg by itself doesn’t do the very start and dmesg | less does it in pages that are not much easier to copy and paste all from.

The messages that are errors are the following

[    0.270437] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.GPP7.UP00.DP40.UP00.DP68], AE_NOT_FOUND (20220331/dswload2-162)
[    0.270445] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20220331/psobject-220)
[    0.311319] i2c i2c-0: Failed to register i2c client ITE8853:00 at 0x4e (-16)
[    1.169140] hub 12-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)

Here is a txt with the dmesg | less surounding the errors which I feel may be found to be most likely relevant.

dmesg.txt (14.9 KB)