Newb with a new build

Here is what I'm thinking of throwing together.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MCjQxr

I've been a gamer but want to move back into the pc realm. (I haven't really played many pc games other than RTS since the 90's early 2000's) So it will obviously be used for gaming but other than that I mess around with music making software. Nothing too serious. I will be starting out gaming in 1080p but I kind of want the option to upgrade if I choose. As far as overclocking, I don't know much about it but it seems like something I'd dabble as I progress down this path.

I've never built a pc before. I feel confident that this is a solid setup but since I don't have any experience with a bunch of different pieces of hardware I'm just searching for some input. I'm not necessarily looking to go cheaper or anything but I'm just wondering about some of the components and if some of it is overkill. The Motherboard for example. Is something like the MAXIMUS VII HERO really going to make a big difference over something like a ASUS Z97-A? and does it truly justify the price difference?

I'm just trying to learn something before I commit you know? If anyone has any comments or suggestions about any of the components and/ or combinations of components they would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i7's are pointless for gaming as is RAM above 1866. Western Digital Green drives aren't the best for gaming either. The motherboard you chose is good but way OP and the hyper 212 evo isn't the best for overclocking. Other than that the 970 has a VRAM issue and you could get a better PSU at this budget, but the one you have is still good. Anyways I recommend picking up something like the rig I posted below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vKQxr

My recommenced options
Opt. 1:

-Replace the CPU with an AMD 8350, it's cheap and performs well + noctua nh-d15, make sure to get RAM that it can clear

-Get a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 or 3.0

Opt. 2:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Opt. 3:

I'll list my first build, which did everything I needed it to - until I went 4k and started productivity and such.

-AMD FX8350

-ASUS Saberthooth 990FX R2.0 (or 3.0) I got this combo up to 4.6ghz and I didn't know what the h##l I was doing ;)

-Cooler Master Seidon 120XL - I would get a couple of Noctua NF-F12PWM's because the CM fans are loud. I like closed loop bacuse it pushes the hot air straight out of the case.

-8 gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhz

-I got started with 2x 650ti's but right now I would recommend a 970 4gb. My brother in law just got the EVGA Superclocked and it does everything, and more at 1080p

-''Any'' cooler master 650-750w will do. Make sure its bronze or silver rated

-Get one SSD for OS and one for stuff. I got the Kingston HyperX 3k 120gb and love it! Then just some cheap 2 or 3 tb hdd. I have never experienced fps drop or anything from using a slow hdd.

-I recommend the NZXT H440 case, it is sleek and quiet. You do lose the optical driver option though, but who uses that anymore ;)

Here is what that build, minus the GPU(got a 780ti instead - the 970 shouldn't do much worse) did in some benchmarks:

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz + Asus Saberthooth FX990 r2.0 - 8GB Ram
MSI 780ti

Bioshock Infinite
FPS:A-53,8 Mx-76 M-n25
CPU Temp:49C
GPU Temp:76C

Crysis 3
FPS:A-22 Mx31 Mn11
CPU Temp:51C
GPU Temp:77C

Farcry 3
FPS:A-35 Mx-57 Mn-16
CPU Temp: 54C
GPU Temp: 77C

BF3
FPS:A-40 Mx-59 Mn-29
CPU Temp:51C

BF4
FPS:A-42,4 Mx-126 Mn-0
CPU Temp:52C
GPU Temp:77C

Metro Last Light Benchmark 5 Runs
FPS:A.28,8 Mx-201,45 Mn-0,77
CPU Temp:52C

The reason I would go with the AMD is that it is stupid cheap and performs well for games. The second reason is that the motherboard for the chip is cheaper as well. This means you'll have more money for GAMES!

Hope it helps a little!

Thank you for responding. You have already sent me down new paths looking around the web trying to soak up as much info as I can before I settle on something. Thanks for your input.

Glad to help out! Can't even tell you how many components I ordered for my first build only to find something with a better rep and price/performance. I'm lucky enough that my local hardware place let me send stuff back and forth. 

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

This guy said everything I had to say though I think the EVGA 600b is sufficient +1

Another thought I had recently is since I'm a novice, perhaps I could get away with making some upgrades to my current store bought pc that I've had for a while now. It has a AMD Phenom II x6 1045t. From what I could find out about it it doesn't seem like it's all that bad. Here is the exact model of my pc.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Elite-HPE-500-Desktop-PC-series/5035344/model/5061013/document/c02679379/

Is it possible to get good performance out of this with a gpu and psu upgrade? Maybe even an SSD. At least for starting out anyway. Do you think it would it be a waste to throw $3 - 500 dollars into this and play with it for a little while or should I just invest that towards my plans on a new build?

I guess you could, but you will end up buying an older style cpu (AM3)If you then want to upgrade in, lets say a year, you would have to get a new cpu(AM3+)

Also, from what I can see the motherboard uses pci-e1. Newer cards will work, but you will lose som performance. (from what I have experienced it's upto 5-6%)

Personally I would go for a brand new rig. You'll end up saving money in the long run... Ask me how I know ;)