Newb looking for help getting into the pc upgrade world

if you dont want the personal background skip the paragraph.

Hi all, as the title says, I’m essentially a pc newb. I was a lifelong console gamer who made the switch for the realism of pc sim racing. I went out and bought a cyberpower gamer master c series pc, an occulus rift, got my racing rig hooked up to it and proceeded to a month or so trying to get used to the blurriness of vr racing while I started building a base to run tactile transducers and a software called simvibe. Spent a good amount on the bass shakers and amps etc, and about 30 hours in a garage in texas building everything, got it up to my room and found out my pc couldn’t run it, so i needed a second sound card. started watching videos on how to install something like that to try to save a little money and found out how much freaking easier pc assembly is than I ever realized and decided to order a better graphics card as well (to gtx 1070ti from radeon 580 xtr) to make vr less of a barf fest. Got my package in and my pc apart and realized that i couldn’t support second attachment on my mobo so that started what has basically become a full rebuild. I’m not one to join a forum and ask for help but there’s just so much to learn, and i really would like to get this simulation car up and running (honestly it’s been like a real car). My goals started simple but now I’d like to upgrade the cpu and ram, as well as water cooling. I’d like some help picking the hardware for a solid to great sim racing and netflix vr rig. I’ll play some other games from time to time but I still have an xbox with a whole library of games when i need a driving break.

things I think I’m planning to upgrade to:
msi 470x m7 ac from stock (i’ve struggled identifying the stock board but I believe asus is the manufacturer)
ryzen 7 2700k from ryzen 5 1500 (although I’ve looked strongly at threadripper 1920x, the reviews i’ve seen seem to suggest that for what i’m looking for ryzen 7 may be better, i’m also not sure if it can run on this board or if it needs one of those $400-$500 boards)
Ram-idk i’m still researching this, that’s kind of a new thing for me i thought the one my pc came with would be fine, but i’m a major multitasker. I regularly have 50 plus tabs open and 5 or more programs running so i think i’d benefit from an upgrade.
dual gpu’s?? I’m not sure about this either, would i even get a benefit from it? i’m not sure how demanding games like f1, assetto corsa, dirt, iracing, and rfactor are, also not sure if i can fit dual gpu’s and a sound card. it’s hard to get a feel for the size of these boards in pictures
cooling-looking at corsairs aio,

things i’ve bought already
evga gtx1070ti
evga 750 psu
for reference here’s the pc i bought https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-xtr-1tb-hard-drive-black/6225214.p?skuId=6225214&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=1413&ref=212&loc=DWA&gclid=CjwKCAjw2MTbBRASEiwAdYIpsTGsgCwReq2KvnfCKQnBCj01e-dO2U6EdMjA8ehGzsHfjeyjpSIcLxoCpHgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What say you? Am i on the right track? Is there anything I would benefit from that I haven’t listed here? thanks for any help guys. I’m not big on asking for help, and i usually hate forums because of the flamers but you have to start somewhere

Yeah, get a new board. There’s no VRM heatsink so if you don’t have airflow over it then you won’t be able to maintain higher clocks.

GPU and PSU seem fine, just be sure that the PSU has an 80+ rating. Ideally, gold or higher.

I’d say you are on the right track.

You could just get the 2600 and overclock it. Here’s a CPU + board combo for $300.

All the Ryzen stuff is great for OC. No reason to get the 2700/X really unless you need the extra cores. And actually need not want.

In fact, you could just do a drop-in replacement with the link I gave you to your current system and it should be great. The included stock coolers on Ryzen are actually really good. Then you could get a AIO later if you want more Oc head room.

1 Like

So, yeah get the 2700x. Threadripper ist not really made for gaming. Despite what was said here, don’t get a “lower” model Ryzen CPU and expect to overclock it. Ryzen second generation doesn’t like that too much, there is plenty of online resources that verify that (also there is a video on L1Techs where @wendell talks about it). Furthermore, try to avoid dual graphics cards. I ran that for a while a couple years back, it has its own issues. Especially with the new graphics APIs (see dx12) dual gpus are not that well (if at all) supported. As long as you can go for a stronger single GPU go that path and with current top end GPUs VR should not really be a problem as long as you are not running some exotic resolutions.

Sources:
https://youtu.be/SXkxZUfh8Ns?t=1170 (Wendell Talking OC) Best to watch the whole video as there is context to this part of the video!
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625-2.html (Toms Hardware on OCing Ryzen 5 2600)

There are many more, go see for yourself.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies!

Thankfully it seems I made the right decision on the psu. I have been leaning towards the 2700x, more as a do it once do it right solution. I regret not getting a gtx 1080, it’s one of the reasons I was thinking about dual graphics cards, I thought that might be a little cheaper than replacing this card I just got, but i really hadn’t begun researching that avenue, that’s more “long-term” plans.

For Ram I’m leaning towards 2x16gb corsair vengeance 3200’s. (but i really want g.skill tridentz)

And after watching Wendell’s video I think I’m going to leave the prism cooler on the cpu while I work on a diy watercooling system. Totally for the wants (and because I like learning how to do things) but i’ve completely fallen in love with the look of this machine sitting next to my rig. I’d like to add to it. It’s really taking a lot of self control not to cover the whole thing in rgb fans and ram.

I guess you should have at least once that dual gpu setup so you really know

Multi gpu means waiting weeks if not months with all new titles and even then once you upgrade again from that dual to single card, its so smooth experience that it feels like some pre rendered cgi because duals do have this slight stuttering and delay going on

That probably is less notable with better cpu as I had FX one back then, but I dont see why would that same thing not be there at all :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

well I’ve not made my decision yet, and I’m certainly not one to ignore advice given to me. if the better option is go 1080ti over dual, then, after I’ve finished everything else, if i still feel like i would like it to be better I will look at that instead.