New Years Resolutions - Linux

Anyone have any Linux New Years Resolutions?

Mine is to get into the SAN admining game.

1 Like

Learn how to use modern networking tools. Most of what I use I learned in 2006-2007 and it is pretty much all depreciated, to dependent on GUI tools now.

2 Likes

By that do you mean the intricacies of ā€˜ssā€™ and systemd or something else entirely?

Build a NAS.

That and systemd in general.

1 Like

I have had to learn most of my systemd from Lennart himself. The Literature is weak. The ā€œeducation sitesā€ are lagging. Honestly Redhat and YouTube meetups are all I have. There is a Redhat HQ here in Northern Virginia that I want to pump for more info soon regarding systemd.

As far as ā€˜ssā€™ the written literature so far as I know is non existant. It is man man.

Systemd is a fine machine in my personal opinion. Many disagree. I use it because it is efficient from what I have seen. I study, learn, discern, decide what I find useful. Like a farmer from olde learning what plow is best going to till the field beyond years. No one can know the fuel ( horse or gas) but we get a glimps of the the Know before it comes.

Tried to learn how to use it years ago but I kept running into bugs and had to keep figuring out a work around every time, but recently I havenā€™t had any problems with it so I can focus on it instead of jumping through hoops. Hard to learn something when you have to disable parts what you are trying to learn and find a different solution.

What is ā€˜itā€™?

I would say:

• Learn RHEL

• Strip down kernel by hand and make it work ( last time I paired down my kernel, the computer would shut off for whatever reason 30 seconds after boot. )

• Learn how to theme

2 Likes
  1. Revist Self-Healing Scripts for Production
    Iā€™ve always just played with this in testing, in case load balancing or failover doesnā€™t work. Iā€™ve never fully understood the mechanics or how to properly implement such a concept. Nevermore. This year will be the year I master this.

2. Redis
    Not necessarily Linux, but Iā€™ve decided to get into learning Redis. Java has some great libraries, from what Iā€™ve read, and Iā€™ll be giving that a go.

3. The Year of the Linux Desktop ā€¦ for ME
    I am going to swap my setup to be opposite of what it is now. Windows primary with Linux guests -> Linux primary with Windows guests. Iā€™ve tried this in the past, and KVM just didnā€™t do it for me, and every update iteration yielded problems with VMware Workstation. Now, Iā€™ve a spare GPU to run my Windows test box in full resolution with KVM, and Iā€™ve been testing Remmina with our Hyper-V host and it has been working great.

4. Read the Linux Programming Interface (again?)
    Iā€™ve referenced the tome, and Iā€™ve dabbled in the Linux API for perosnal tools. But I think Iā€™m going to take a serious crack at the book, and hopefully get into some real systems engineering. This is my goal, career wise, and I think 2018 is the time to see it through.

• stop recommending Linux to people
  • try Linux from scratch and gentoo
  • work through vulkan tutorials
2 Likes

Systemd, c-state bugs and daemon incompatibilities were the main problems.

Make enough time (readā€¦ cease procrastinating) to rebuild my operating system from scratch to patch some ā€œslightlyā€ outdated packages (readā€¦ entire operating system). And compile a new blob for firmware related issues.

Bloody flutteryay!

Learn basic Python and get into sensors and such on SOC boards. Guess the linux part is strictly speaking only the SOC boards, though Iā€™ll be learning python on my main linux machine too.

1 Like

Get my LPIC1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. Linux From Scratch
  2. Proxmox Virtualization
  3. Linux Main Desktop
  4. Gaming on Linux (HTPC and Main Desktop)
  • Linux as main OS
  • Pick a desktop environment/window manager and stick to it for more than a week.
  • Obtain a deep understanding of how Linux works.
  • Get more involved in a Linux community to learn and share information as I can.
4 Likes

You came to the right Community for this one mate.

1 Like

Isnā€™t it all coming back around?! I thought terminal work was the thing again, with many Windows admin falling in love with Powershell

I thought I was the only one who noticed thisā€¦ I was tempted to find out what the red hat site has hoping for more.

+100000

Welcome Home !

2 Likes