New XPS 15 and XPS 17 released

Yeah, cuz honestly thats is the only cool thing about Tbolt imo, usb docks can do all the other crap

1 Like

Right, so it should be capable. Theres nothing stopping it, at least.

Wonder what the overhead difference will be or if there will be more latency having USB be between compared to direct access to pcie lanes? (havent done a lot of reading on usb 4)

I don’t think there will be any. I don’t think they’re doing PCIe over USB.

I think they’re just providing the full TB3 protocol.

lol will be nice if that is how it works. laptops have tons of spare unused pcie lanes since limited i/o and onboard hardware

Yeah, I was always curious about that.

I’d imagine less so for gAyMiNg laptops with NVMe and GPUs, but still…

Am I crazy for being disappointed that you can only do 100w of charging on USB C? I hope USB 4 comes with a higher power cap. We can do it with more voltage.

Eh you only need like 4 lanes of 4.0 to the gpu probably leaves you with 12 lanes right there

That’s true, but I’m thinking 3.0 right now. Considering like 95% of laptops are still on 3.0 from either the CPU or the GPU.

eh even then still 8 lanes of 3.0 (no mobile gpu in a system that needs tbolt gpu will need more then 8 lanes and new gen gpu should be 4.0 freeing up more lanes since higher bandwidth

1 Like

I don’t know about tons … on my elderly xps 15 the TB3 port is only 2 lanes direct to the CPU because they ran out of lanes. They fixed that in next years version.

IMHO routing the full 16 lanes to the mobile GPU seemed a bit excessive to me, but probably get less crying from people that somehow think the gtx 1050 would bottleneck with only 8 lanes.

Intel has less lanes

Intel has less everything.

4 Likes

Except dem nanometers and heat output.

1 Like