New XPS 15 and XPS 17 released

The XPS 15 has always been “the macbook for non-mac users” in my eyes for a while. It comes with all the great mac-isms; short-travel keys, high quality display, long battery life, the potential to burn your house down…

The new XPS 17 has some notable changes:

• big trackpad
  • 16:10 display (1920x1200 or 3840x2400)
  • IR camera for windows hello
  • 1.3mm travel on the keyboard, 10% bigger keys (smaller gap between keys)
  • fingerprint on top right of keyboard
  • 4x thunderbolt 3
  • moved to all USB C
  • improved speakers. not quite macbook though
  • redesigned thermal management. It remains to be seen if it does enough though.
  • 2 m.2 for NVMe
  • 2 DDR4 SODIMMs
  • WLAN is baked on now

The new XPS 15 has some notable changes:

• big trackpad
  • 16:10 display (1920x1200 or 3840x2400)
  • IR camera for windows hello
  • 1.3mm travel on the keyboard, 10% bigger keys (smaller gap between keys)
  • fingerprint on top right of keyboard
  • 2x thunderbolt 3, 4 lanes each
  • moved to all USB C
  • improved speakers. not quite macbook though
  • 2 m.2 for NVMe
  • 2 DDR4 SODIMMs
  • WLAN is baked on now
  • 86wh battery

4 Likes

15’s thermal system is still pretty meh, but the 17 took some cues from the Blade, so that’s good.

Yep. :confused: We’ll see.

I guess I’ll have to send it with the xps 17 then.

Plus, 4x TB3 is going to be sweet

Plus, I’m getting old and the 15in screen is getting small for me.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting a 14-inch XPS, and the new 15 is now smaller than my current 14-inch personal laptop. Woo. (My current XPS 15 work laptop is only marginally bigger than my personal laptop mind you…)

I wonder if we can expect AMD versions of this next year. Ryzen 4xxx series 8-core APU in the base model would be nice.

1 Like

Saw it on short circuit. I haven’t considered dell ever since I heard reliability issues on the models with the 8000 series intel.

If it’s repairable, has a matte display option, I might consider getting it as a replacement for my thinkpad E570.

Though I am going to hold out for either the fedora thinkpads or ryzen thinkpads

bummer they made the battery smaller. My xps 15 is from a few years ago, I think it has the 105 wh battery, the one that you can get if you give up the sata hdd bay. but that extra battery really comes in handy for a long days at a conference running the beautiful 4k display and six core CPU without needing to worry about having an outlet handy.

only things I dont like about my xps, the usb pd is limited to 60w, instead of the full 100, and the camera is down in the hinge, lower left, so the viewing angle is extra weird

edit: 4c 8t cpu, and 97 wh batt in my 9560 oopsie

You can’t fly with a 105wh battery, so not likely.

The 9570 has a 97wh (I’ve got one)

After watching the video posted above, it made it sound like you can bring on more than 100wh, but it’s more of a hassle because you have to get approval first. After some Googling, it seems even if getting approval there is a cap at 160wh. https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/rules-for-traveling-with-batteries/

However, I am not disagreeing that this is the reason why you don’t really see laptops pushing the 100wh limit.

1 Like

quite right! my 9560 also has the 97wh.

1 Like

RIP still intel, cant wait for some AMD powered versions

17" is crap for working on a plane tho 15 is like the tops for that imo, Rather just have a USBc external travel pannel if you need a bigger screen cuz at home or work you will have it docked anyway.

1 Like

I hope they are better than the last series. My wife has a 9575 that I purchased for her Xmas of 2018 and it has had nothing but problems. Loud, hot, and constantly crashes even when idle. Most people recommended re-pasting the CPU because Dell apparently does such a bad job doing it when they build them. Seriously? Re-paste a new laptop? A few months ago she was having battery issues so I contacted Dell to ask about a replacement battery. They said the part is no longer available and probably wouldn’t be again. For a year old laptop! Fortunately, cracking it open and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solved her problem.
She wanted a MacBook and I got her this instead. Wish I would have gone for the MacBook. Oddly enough she prefers to use her 2012 MacBook Pro over the new Dell. But Apple’s planned obsolescence policy is making that difficult as many apps are no longer supported (she can no longer sync her iPhone to it).

1 Like

Dell recommends repasting the laptop. :thonk:

As much as an AMD one would be great, that would mean Intel licencing out Thunderbolt to OEMs for use with AMD chips. They weren’t losing market share on the desktop by doing that, but it would open a whole can of worms if they allowed it in laptops (Apple and Microsoft saying bye to Intel, and everyone else following).

2 Likes

That’s why I think we have to wait for USB 4 to get 40GBPS IO on AMD laptops.

XPS 15 with a 5000 series Ryzen (zen 3) mobile cpu and USB 4, Sounds like a good upgrade path! I don’t see Dell doing it though.

1 Like

With the amount of REEEEing about dell not going AMD this time, they just might do it next time.

I mean, hell, even LTT complained about it.

Clearly we need the open standard lightening bolt to be a thing

Nah, Apple is moving to type C because it’s better.

Can you dock gpu on that is my only concern

On what? USB 4?