Sorry for the boxes. Detailed build log pics will follow very soon.
- Threadripper 3960x
- Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
- 128gb 3200 CAS14
- Hypervisor: Proxmox
- GPU #1: PCIe passthrough to hackintosh VM (development/photoshop/lightroom)
- GPU #2: PCIe passthrough to windows VM (games)
- Several VMs for infrastructure mocking (software development)
- 2x 240gb SSD ZFS mirror for Proxmox + ISOs
- 2x 1tb 970 EVO NVMe ZFS storage pool for local shares (stripe: 4+gb read/write)
- 4x 1tb Inland Premium NVMe ZFS storage pool. Ultra fast VM storage (stripe: 10+gb read/write)
- 4x 3tb WD Red ZFS Z1 for local backups. Z1 is fine as I also have a dedicated multi-pool 50+TB FreeNAS over 10gbe for “safer” backups.
The 5700 GPUs were specifically selected as they are pretty much the best you can get at PCIe 4.0 for the moment, with the bonus that it works OOB for hackintosh. Fully utilizing the 4.0 lanes was quite important as I wanted to maximize the amount of lanes I can dedicate for I/O.
** All of the storage drives are carry over from the last build, so their price shouldn’t be considered for this build list